In this comprehensive PS5 extended storage guide, we will show you how to format a USB Drive, Store, Move and Delete Games. The just-released video game console comes in two different variants: Ultra HD Blu-ray-compatible as well as a Digital Edition. But that’s not all. Beholding an SSD results in high-speed storage performance. Along the same lines, the 4K display coupled with 120FPS and ray tracing technology all add up to give an immersive gaming experience. Likewise, you could also make use of the Extended Storage device.
There could be many instances where the PS5 extended storage device might come in handy. To begin with, you could directly download all the PS4 games as well as their associated add-ons to the extended storage. Along the same lines, you could even move the game from PS4 system storage to this storage device. As a result, you could then directly play your preferred PS4 games directly from the extended device. This straightaway results in considerable saving of your PS5 storage space. With that said, let’s get on with the PS5 extended storage guide.
Table of Contents
- 1 PS5 Extended Storage Guide: Format a USB Drive, Store, Move Games, Delete
PS5 Extended Storage Guide: Format a USB Drive, Store, Move Games, Delete
We will start off this guide with the steps to format a USB drive as extended storage. After this, we will show you how to move PS4 games to PS5 extended storage. This will then be followed by the steps to automatically download PS4 games to PS5 extended storage as well as how to delete data on this drive. After this, the steps to safely remove an extended storage drive from your PS5 will be shared. Finally, we will also show you how to clear PS5 extended storage, in case you no longer wish to use it. So without further ado, let’s start this PS5 extended storage guide.
Format a USB drive as Extended Storage
If you have already used this drive on your PS4 console as extended storage, then you don’t need to format it. On the other hand, if this is the first time you are using this USB Drive with your PS5 console, then you will have to format it as extended storage. Do keep in mind that this process will result in a data loss of that extended drive, so take a backup beforehand before proceeding with the below steps.
- To begin with, connect your USB drive to the back of your PS5 console.
- Then head over to Settings > Storage.
- Select the Extended Storage option followed by Manage USB Drives.
- Chose your USB drive from the list and select the Format as Extended Storage option.
Move PS4 Games to PS5 Extended storage
If you instead prefer to move your PS4 games, then the steps are pretty straightforward. In this section of the PS5 extended storage guide, we will show you how this could be done:
- Head over to Settings > Storage and select Console Storage.
- Then go to Games and apps and select Move to Extended Storage.
- Select the data you need to move to the extended storage and hit Move.
Automatically Download PS4 Games to Extended Storage
Some users prefer to make their extended storage drive the default download location for all their PS4 games that they have downloaded on their PS5. If you echo this thought as well, then here are the required instructions.
- Head over to Settings > Storage and select Extended Storage.
- Then turn on the Install PS4 Games to Extended Storage option.
Delete Data on PS5 Extended Storage Drive
Next up on our PS5 extended storage guide is the instruction to delete data from the drive. If your external storage drive doesn’t have considerable space to save new data, then you might consider deleting the data on the drive. You could do so as follows:
- Head over to Settings > Storage.
- Then select Extended Storage followed by Games and apps.
- Select the Delete option
- Choose the data that you wish to remove and then hit Delete.
Remove Extended Storage Drive from PS5
If the drive is no longer required or you wish to use it on another console, then you might consider removing it from your console. For that, make sure that the console has been completely turned off and then proceed to disconnect the extended drive. On the other hand, if you wish to do so when the console is turned on, then the below PS5 extended storage guide instructions shall help you out:
- Head over to Settings and select Storage.
- Then go to the Extended Storage option and select Stop Using.
- You may now disconnect the drive from the console.
- If you wish to use it again, then connect it to the console and select the Start Using option.
Format PS5 Extended Storage
Finally, the last section of this PS5 extended storage guide discusses the steps to format the extended storage. If you wish to delete all the files and game data stored on the extended drive, then here are the required formatting steps:
- Head over to Settings > Storage
- Then go to Extended Storage and chose Manage USB Drives.
- Now chose your extended drive from the list and select “Format as exFAT”.
Keep in mind that you shouldn’t power off or disconnect the extended drive while the formatting is going on. Only remove it once the entire process has been successfully completed. As far as the removal of the drive is concerned, you may refer to the steps given in the above section.
That’s it. With this, we conclude the PS5 extended storage guide. We have listed detailed instructions to format a USB Drive, Store, Move and Delete Games, and how to safely disconnect the drive from the console. If you have any other queries, do let us know in the comments section below. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Tricks that deserve your attention.