Infinix Hot 12 Play was launched in India as the latest budget smartphone that runs on Android 12 with XOS 10.6 on top. The smartphone features a 6.82-inch HD+ display with a 90Hz refresh rate powered by a UniSoc T610 SoC, along with up to 4GB of RAM. Infinix Hot 12 Play sports a dual rear camera unit led by the 13-megapixel main sensor and a massive 6,000mAh battery.
If you’re using this device and want to enable root access via Magisk, then this guide is for you. Here we have shared the required downloads, pre-requirements, and an easy method to root Infinix Hot 12 Play (X6816, X6816B, X6816C) using Magisk without TWRP Recovery.
As Android users, most of us want to heavily customize our Android devices. Rooting an Android device opens the unlimited possibilities of customizations that include installing rooted apps, hibernating background running tasks, improving battery life, lock screen or status bar changes, etc. It also offers uninstalling system apps, editing/deleting system root files, installing custom modules, and more. All of these things can’t be possible without rooting.
Infinix Hot 12 Play Device Overview:
The Infinix Hot 12 Play features a 6.82 inches IPS LCD panel with a 90 Hz refresh rate. It is an HD+ panel with a 720 x 1612 pixels resolution and an aspect ratio of 20:9. Under the hood, we get the Unisoc T610 processor built on a 12nm manufacturing process. It is an octa-core processor with two Cortex-A75 cores clocked at 1.8 GHz and six power-efficient Cortex-A55 cores clocked at 1.8 GHz. For handling the graphics-intensive tasks, we have the Mali G52, which can reach up to 614.4MHz. The smartphone comes with Android 12 out of the box with XOS 10 skin running on it.
In terms of optics, we get a dual-camera setup at the rear and a single selfie camera at the front. The dual rear camera setup consists of a 13MP primary sensor paired with an f/1.8 lens and a QVGA AI camera. The selfie camera at the front is an 8MP primary sensor. The front and rear camera systems are limited to 1080p video recording.
The smartphone comes with two storage options: 64GB internal storage + 4GB RAM, and 128GB internal storage + 6GB RAM. We also get a dedicated microSD slot for storage expansion. In terms of communications, we get Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth, GPS, FM radio, and USB Type-C 2.0. And for sensors, we get a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor, accelerometer, proximity, and compass. Powering it all is a massive 6,000 mAh battery that can easily last you a day. The smartphone is available in four colour options: Racing Black, Legend White, Origin Blue, and Lucky Green.
What is Magisk?
There are two most popular and widely used rooting methods available such as SuperSU and Magisk. Both the SuperSU and Magisk offer root access but nowadays, most developers and users prefer Magisk. Magisk is a system-less root that enables root access over the system components without affecting the system core files.
Therefore, Magisk alters and stores the temporary files in the device boot partition. This is a quite safe method and effective as well. It doesn’t hamper Google’s SafetyNet security feature and other banking apps also work fine with Magisk. Magisk comes with a Magisk Manager app that offers rooted device status, downloading & installing custom modules on your device, and more.
- Your device warranty may void after rooting.
- Rooting will block the software OTA updates.
Now, let’s take a look at the requirements, downloads, and steps to Root Infinix Hot 12 Play using Magisk.
- The Stock ROM and Boot Image File are only for the Infinix Hot 12 Play model.
- Make sure to take a complete backup of your device data at first.
- You need to unlock the bootloader of your Infinix smartphone.
- Charge your device battery to more than 60% at least.
- You will require a PC/Laptop and a USB cable.
- Download all the required files from below.
- Download ADB and Fastboot files. (Windows/MAC)
- Infinix USB Drivers – download and install it on your computer.
- Download the Magisk Manager app for your device.
- Infinix Hot 12 Play (X6816, X6816C) Firmware File and Infinix X6816B firmware on your PC.
- Download and Install SPD Flash Tool on your computer as well.
Let’s head over to the rooting steps one by one.
1. Steps to Extract and Patch Boot Image using Magisk
- You have to download and extract the ROM to your PC.
- Attach your device via USB cable and copy only the boot.img file from the extracted folder to your device storage
- Open the Magisk Manager app on your device. When a popup appears asking to install Magisk, select Install and choose to install again.
- Tap on the “Patch Boot Image File”.
- Go to internal storage and select your phone’s boot image that you transferred earlier.
- Wait for a couple of seconds. Magisk will start patching the boot image.
- Once the boot image has been patched, copy the “patched_boot.img” from the internal storage and replace it in the same extracted ROM folder on your PC.
Now, you need to follow the second step to flash the patched boot image file.
2. Steps To Install the Patched Boot Image on Infinix Hot 12 Play
Follow the given link to install Patched Boot Image on Infinix Hot 12 Play (X6816, X6816B, X6816C):Guide to Install the Patched Boot Image on Spreadtrum Device
Root Infinix Hot 12 Play via ADB Fastboot
In some cases, if the above method to Root Infinix Hot 12 Play doesn’t work, then try via ADB fastboot method.
- After extracting the ADB Fastboot tool, you must move the patched boot image to the same folder. Hold the Shift key and click on the right mouse button to open the command window/PowerShell.
- Run the following command in the open command prompt.
- Flash the “patched_boot.img” to install Magisk and root your Android device:
fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
- For devices with an A/B partition system, use the following commands:
fastboot flash boot_a patched_boot.img fastboot flash boot_b patched_boot.img
Kindly replace [patched_boot.img] with the name of the boot image file you downloaded followed by the .img extension.
- The flashing process will begin. Once done, run
- You’re done.
Steps to Verify the Systemless Root
- Download and install the Magisk Manager APK, and launch it.
- To verify that you have a systemless root, check the top of the screen and if you see all options with Green Tick that means you’ve successfully rooted and bypassed the SafetyNet feature.
We hope this guide is helpful to you and you’ve easily rooted your Infinix Hot 12 Play (X6816, X6816B, X6816C) device via Magisk. For any queries, you can ask in the comments below.