When you try to install a new Windows update using any conventional method or channel, you will sometimes stick into a generous problem, and Error code C8000266 appears on the screen. This issue is the most common error users are reporting getting in Windows 7 and Windows 8. From a recent survey, it also gets found in various versions of Windows 10.
Here some of the problems and solutions have discussed. You need to go through causes and then look for a particular solution. Various reasons and their solutions provided below. In case the issue caused by the general problems from which Microsoft is aware, then you might solve the issue by troubleshooting your Windows. For more detailed info, go through the article here.
Why Windows 10 Update Error C8000266 appears:
The problem of getting Update Error C8000266 might occur due to several reasons like system files and error, not matching the hardware configuration, Windows server error, and many more. All the possible solutions discussed below. You will get rid of Update Error C8000266 in Windows 7, 8, and 10 with these methods.
How to Fix Windows 10 Update Error C8000266:
There are many temporary and permanent fix for Error C8000266 in Windows 10 updates. Some of them discussed here:
Windows Update Troubleshooter:
The very first approach to solve the issue if getting Update Error C8000266 must be Windows troubleshooter. The item will resolve if the problem is very general and well known to Microsoft. There are very high chances that the issue covered in a repair strategy by Microsoft. Many users who deploy to try the solution through Windows Update troubleshooter, they claimed that the error solved permanently by this approach. You can launch Windows Update Troubleshooter as mentioned below:
- Press ‘Windows key + S’ and search ‘Run.’
- Open run dialogue box from the search results
- Type ‘control’ in the text box and hit ‘Enter.’
- ‘Classic Control Panel interface’ will open
- Using the search function on the top right corner, search for ‘troubleshoot.’
- Expand the troubleshoot options from the list appeared by click on ‘troubleshooters.’
- Click on ‘System and Security’ from the options
- Proceed by clicking on the ‘Advanced.’
- Check the box associated with ‘Apply repairs automatically.’
- Click on ‘Next’ to proceed and wait for the scan
- After the scan, click on ‘fix repairs.’
- Restart your system if prompt to do so.
Your issue of getting Error Code C8000266 solved now. In case you are still facing the same error, then you might get so into some detailed solutions mentioned further.
Reset Windows Update components:
Resetting all the Windows activator Update components will be your next step in case the troubleshooter did not work for solving the Error Code C8000266. You can proceed to do it automatically, or you can perform it manually also from Windows update reset.
Method 1: Via Automated script
- Download the Reset Windows Update Agent script on your device
- Extract the ZIP archive while download gets complete
- After extraction search for ResetWUEnG.exe
- Double-click ‘ResetWUEnG.exe’ and hit ‘Yes’ to allow admin permissions
- Wait for the procedure to complete
- Restart your system once after the process is complete
- Attempt to install the updates and see if the issue resolved.
Method 2: Via Command Prompt
- Press ‘Windows key + R’ to open the Run dialogue box
- Type ‘cmd’ and press ‘Ctrl + Shift + Enter’ to open elevated Command Prompt
- Click on ‘Yes’ for admin permission
- And type ‘net stop wuauserv’ and press ‘Enter.’
- Now type ‘net stop cryptSvc’ and press ‘Enter’
- Type ‘net stop bits’ and press ‘Enter.’
- Then type ‘net stop msiserver’ and press ‘Enter.’
- These commands will stop Windows Update service and few more services like MSI Installer, Cryptographic and BITS
- Once the services stopped, type the following commands
- Type ‘ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old’ and hit ‘Enter.’
- Now type ‘ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old’ and hit ‘Enter’
- Thereafter type ‘net start wuauserv’ and press ‘Enter.’
- Then type ‘net start cryptSvc’ and press ‘Enter’
- Now type ‘net start bits’ and press ‘Enter.’
- Type ‘net start msiserver’ and press ‘Enter.’
- This process will restart services. Now attempt to install updates.
Install Windows update manually:
You can proceed with installing the manual updates for Windows if you see that the above methods are not working well for you. If you have several pending updates showing error code C8000266, follow the steps to manual Update process and remember that this will not fix the root cause of the error. You should know the details of the update you want to install before getting into this procedure. Follow the steps once you know which update you need to install:
- Open browser, search and visit ‘Microsoft Update catalog.’
- Use the search button on the top-right corner and search for the name of the update that is failing with error code C8000266
- Identify the update by details mentioned about Windows version
- Click on the Download button to proceed for downloading
- Open these updates to install the update manually
- Reboot your computer and see if the problem resolved.
Windows Repair Portable:
This is a third-party freeware for repairing the issues while updating Windows. If none of those mentioned above procedure is getting the solution for you, then you may proceed to get the error code C8000266 disappeared from the updates by using the Windows Repair Portable. This tool not designed to fix Windows server problems. Here is some detail about the procedure to start:
- Download the Windows Repair Portable tool from a convenient resource
- Use any extraction utility to extract the downloaded content
- Open the Windows Repair folder and find ‘Repair_Windows.exe.’
- Double-click on ‘Repair_Windows.exe’
- Click ‘Yes’ for admin access
- Now click ‘I Agree at the EULA’ prompt after the scan
- Then click on the Reboot to Safe Mode button, once the application opened
- Click ‘Yes’ and let the process start
- After your computer boots into safe mode, open the ‘Windows Repair Utility’ again
- Click on ‘Repairs’
- Then Click on ‘Preset’
- Now Click on the ‘Start Repairs’ button and wait
Restart your system and see if the problem fixed. If the issue is still there, then proceed with the next method.
This is also a third party software by which you can solve the update issues. If you connected to a restricted network, then this tool will help you to get out of the update errors. Here is how you can use WSUS Offline:
- Download ‘WSUS Offline’
- Open the archive and extract the directory
- Double-click on ‘UpdateGenerator.exe’
- Select the ‘Windows’ tab and check every box associated with the type of updates that you want to install.
- Click on ‘Start’ to launch the utility
- Then click ‘Yes’ to go to the location and get the updates downloaded there.
- Open the ‘Client folder.’
- Double-click ‘UpdateInstaller.exe’
- Click ‘Yes’ to allow admin permissions
- And click ‘Start’ to begin the installation process
- Restart your system after the updates
Update Error C8000266 while updating Windows 10 is the most common error that occurred due to improper installation or blockage in installing the updates. The procedures mentioned above might solve the issue with the updates. You could have the hassle-free updating process if the error occurred due to any reason during the upgrade.
The procedures mentioned above are useful, and some users already find these solutions very reliable. You must take a backup of your data before getting into any solution discussed here. You also suggested keeping your internet connection active while applying any of these processes. These processes will fix Windows 10 Update Error C80000266. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.
- How to Fix Windows 10 Update Error C8000266?
- How to Install Windows 10 on any Supported Laptop, Tablet or PC?
- How to Open Registry Editor on Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or Older OS?
- How to Speed Up Windows 10 for Gaming and Performance
- How To Fix Origin Error Code 16-1 in Windows 10
- How to Fix Error Code 0x800704ec When Turning On Windows Defender?
- How to Fix Update Error Code 0x800703f1 on Windows 10?