Discord is an advantageous group-chatting platform that allows the sharing of texts, audio, and video files for free. It became a popular app for live-streaming games. But now many other communities are also involved with it. Most gamers use Discord as it allows them to interact with other players.
But all these fun gaming experiences come to a halt when Discord starts lagging. Lately, many users have complained about the Discord lagging issue on their Windows computer. If you’re a Discord user who is also facing this same trouble, then you have come to the right place. This article will show you some useful methods that you can apply to fix the issue on your own.
- Methods to Fix Discord lagging issue:
- Method 1: Delete cache files on Discord:
- Method 2: Stop the unnecessary programs:
- Method 3: Update your drivers:
- Method 4: Disable/enable hardware acceleration:
- Method 5: Reset the voice settings:
- Method 6: Change the power settings to high performance:
- Method 7: Update Discord to the latest version:
- Method 8: Reinstall your Discord app:
Methods to Fix Discord lagging issue:
As it turns out, there are several factors that contribute to the Discord lagging issue. But don’t worry, we will show you how to solve these problems one by one. So, be with us till the end of this article.
Method 1: Delete cache files on Discord:
Sometimes the cache data and cookies get piled up on your computer and start causing different issues. So, in order to solve the lagging issue of Discord, you need to follow the steps given below and delete all the cache files.
- First, you have to leave Discord.
- Press Windows key +R.
- Type %APPDATA%/Discord/Cache and click OK.
- Then, press Ctrl key +A to select all the files in the cache folder.
- Click the ‘Del’ key on your keyboard so that all the selected files will be removed.
- Now, reopen Discord and check for the issue.
If Discord starts lagging again, go to the next method.
Method 2: Stop the unnecessary programs:
If you’re running more than one program at the same time, it’s possible the software will start a conflict, and this conflict will give rise to the Discord lagging issue. To fix the lagging issue, you have to stop all the unnecessary programs running in the background.
To close the programs, follow these steps.
- Open Task Manager by right-clicking on the taskbar.
- Then, you have to see what processes are taking more CPU and memory usage.
- After you locate the process, right-click on it and select End task.
Note: If you end any program that you’re not familiar with, it may cause trouble for your computer’s functioning. So, don’t end any program that you don’t know about.
- Now, you can reopen Discord and see if everything goes fine.
If the issue comes back, move down to the next solution.
Method 3: Update your drivers:
Another leading cause of the Discord lagging issue can be your computer’s corrupted drivers. Using outdated graphics or audio drivers can create the Discord lagging issue. To fix the issue, you need to update the drivers as soon as possible.
- Press Windows key +R.
- Type “devmgmt.msc” and press OK.
- Open the Device Manager tab.
- To update audio drivers, you have to double-click on the Audio inputs and outputs Then, right-click on the audio driver and choose the Update driver option.
- If you want to update the graphics driver, double-click on the Display adapters, then right-click on your graphic driver and choose the Update driver
- After clicking the Update driver option, select the Search automatically for updated driver software Then, you have to follow the instructions given on your computer screen and finish the process.
- Now, restart your PC and go to Discord to check if everything is alright.
If you re-encounter the issue, try the next method.
Method 4: Disable/enable hardware acceleration:
While running heavy tasks like live-streaming, Discord needs more CPU resources which gets fulfilled by hardware acceleration. But sometimes, hardware acceleration can cause problems in an application. So, we advise you to check the settings of hardware acceleration on your computer. If you find hardware acceleration disabled, turn it on. If you find it enabled, then it’s possible hardware acceleration is causing the trouble.
To check the hardware acceleration settings, follow these steps.
- First, launch Discord to open its Settings.
- Then, choose the Appearance option.
- If you find Hardware Acceleration is on, turn it off, or vice versa.
- Now, click OK to save the changes.
- Go back to Discord and see if you can find any issues.
In case, Discord starts lagging again, try out the next method.
Method 5: Reset the voice settings:
In case you have interfered with any settings in Discord, you should reset it back to default. Most importantly, interfering with the voice settings in Discord can create the Discord lagging issue. So, you should follow the steps given below and reset the voice settings.
- Open Discord and select the Settings icon.
- Choose Voice & Video.
- Then, select Reset Voice Settings.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Now, check if the issue comes back again.
Method 6: Change the power settings to high performance:
Your computer’s power settings are set as Balanced by default to prevent energy loss. But this can result in your computer being slowed down and it may cause the Discord lagging issue. To fix the issue, follow these steps, and change the power settings.
- Press the Windows key.
- Type control and open the Control Panel.
- Then, under the View by option, you have to select Large icons.
- Choose Power Options.
- Change the settings to High Performance.
- After the process is complete, restart your computer.
- Check if Discord starts lagging again.
Method 7: Update Discord to the latest version:
In most of the cases, outdated applications create lagging issues. So, if you haven’t updated your Discord app for a while, it’s time to update it. Follow the steps.
- Press Windows key +R.
- Type “%localappdata%” and press Enter.
- Find Discord and double-click on it.
- Then, you have to double click on “Update.exe” to start the updating process.
- After the updating process is complete, relaunch Discord and see if it’s still lagging.
Method 8: Reinstall your Discord app:
If none of the above-mentioned methods came into your use, then it’s possible your current Discord application is associated with some corrupted or damaged files. The only way to fix this problem is to uninstall your current Discord app. Follow our steps to uninstall your Discord app and then reinstall it to solve the lagging issue.
- Press the Windows key.
- Type Control and select Control Panel from the search result.
- Then, you have to click on Category under the View by option.
- Next, choose the Uninstall a program option.
- Among all the programs, locate Discord and then right-click on it to choose the Uninstall
- Then, download and reinstall Discord on your computer and check if the issue comes up again.
Discord has become a home for gamers, friends, and many communities. The free services and easy to access features make it more favorable for its audience. So, it can be very frustrating when the Discord app starts lagging.
That’s why to help you out, we have compiled down some effective methods. You just have to follow the steps given in the guide carefully. And we hope you become successful in resolving the lagging issue and start using Discord again without any troubles. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.