Valheim’s one of the noticeable problems is the limited number of multiplayer support. Yes! up to 10 players can join the game in multiplayer mode at a time which is way less than other multiplayer open-world survival games. Additionally, players can easily create and host their own game servers depending on the region which seems useful enough but it’s actually not. This can bring multiple server errors or issues and Valheim Incompatible Version Error is one of them. If you’re also receiving the same error, check out this troubleshooting guide to fix it.
Fix: Valheim Stuck on loading screen
Fix: Valheim Audio Not Working or Sound Cutting Out
How to Sail the Boat in Valheim | Raft Controls Guide
How to Play Valheim using Vulkan API?
How to Fix Valheim Crashing on World Load
Valheim Food Tier List January 2023: Best Foods in Valheim
All Valheim Bosses in Order (2023)
This particular error is preventing players to get into the gameplay or joining individual game servers which is a bit of a pain. So, whenever the game client and server don’t run the same version of the game, the incompatible version error will start appearing to multiple players quite often. In that scenario, you’ll need to update both the game and the server to its latest version. Now, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into the steps below.
How to Fix Valheim Incompatible Version Error
If you want to simply check Valheim game updates on the Steam client, you can do so:
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library.
- Now, right-click on the Valheim from the left pane.
- Select Properties > Click on Updates.
- If there is an update available, grab it.
However, if you can’t see any available update notification for the Valheim game, make sure to enable the ‘Automatic Updates’ option. Alternatively, make sure to completely close the Steam client and restart your computer. Then you can check for the game update again as sometimes the game update may not appear due to system glitches or temporary cache files.
Steps to Manually Update Valheim Server
Now, once you’re running on the latest version of the Valheim game on your computer via the Steam client, make sure to try updating the Valheim server using the SteamCMD tool. This solution is a bit more tricky and all of the players may not be able to understand or complete the task properly. If so, follow the steps below carefully. Otherwise, you may mess up the dedicated server files or their configuration.
- First, take a full backup and saved data of the folder in the Valheim installation directory.
- Create a update.bat file inside the installation directory.
- If not created a SteamCMD named folder on your C: drive, do this too.
- Visit the SteamCMD page and download the latest version for Windows.
- Now, extract the SteamCMD zip file on the SteamCMD folder.
- Open the bat file > Type the following command line: [Replace the directory with your original one for both the SteamCMD and Valheim]
[SteamCMD directory] +login anonymous +force_install_dir [Valheim directory] +app_update 896660 validate +exit
- Save the update.bat (batch file) and close it.
- Finally, run it to update the server to its current version.
We hope you aren’t receiving the Valheim Incompatible Version Error anymore. That’s it, guys. You can comment below for additional queries.