Here we will guide on how to download and install Android 9.0 Pie update for Huawei Mate 9 . This guide is simple to complete the installation.
Huawei Mate 9 (codename: hi3660) was launched in November 2016. The phone came out of the box with Android 7.0 Nougat and later upgraded to Android 8.0 Oreo. Here we will discuss the release of Android 9.0 Pie update for Huawei Mate 9. If you want to try custom ROM based on Android 9.0 Pie? then you are in the right place.
Google finally released the 9th iteration of Android OS called Android 9.0 Pie. The update has rolled for Pixel supported devices and few other OEM supported with Android Beta. After putting Android users through four beta updates of Android P, Google has named Android 9.0 as Android Pie. It is expected that in the coming months all the devices that had been signed up for the Android P beta program including the OnePlus 6, Oppo R15 Pro, Vivo X21 and more will receive the Android P update first.
Talking about the specs on Huawei Mate 9, The device sports a 20MP + 12MP Dual rear cameras and an 8-Megapixel front shooter for selfies. Huawei Mate 9 features a 5.9 inches IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen Display with a 1080 x 1920 pixels resolution. It is powered by a Hisilicon Kirin 960 chipset processor with Mali-G71 MP8 GPU paired with 4GB RAM. The phone packs 64GB internal memory, that can be expanded up to 256GB via MicroSD. The handset runs on Android OS, v7.0 (Nougat) with EMUI 5.0 out of the box.
When will Huawei release Android 9.0 Pie update for Huawei Mate 9?
There is no official statement by Huawei whether this device will receive the official Android 9.0 Pie update. Huawei has started the Android 9.0 Pie beta program for new devices launched in 2018. For all Huawei update timeline, you check out the List of Android 9 Pie Supported Huawei Devices.
If you want to try Android 9.0 Pie, then you can install the Custom ROM based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project) on Huawei Mate 9.
- Lineage OS 16: List of Supported Devices, Release Date and More (Android 9.0 Pie)
- Android 9.0 Pie: Supported Device List, Features, and Downloads
What's on Android 9.0 Pie?
Android 9.0 Pie is the 9th iteration and a major update of Google's Android OS. The new Android Pie brings a couple of design changes to the successor Android Oreo but the most notable one is the gesture-based navigation system. Other features of Android 9 Pie are New Quick Settings UI design, Redesigned volume slider, Advanced Battery with AI Support, Notch Support, Improved Adaptive Brightness, Manual theme selection, Android Dashboard which Google calls Digital Wellbeing, and more other features.
Check out the Top 10 Features of Android 9.0 Pie Update
Want to try Android 9.0 Pie on Huawei Mate 9 (hi3660)?
If you want to enjoy Android 9.0 Pie features, then follow the below guide.
Make sure you have Unlocked Bootloader and installed TWRP Recovery on Huawei Mate 9 (hi3660).
- Supported on Huawei Mate 9
- Charge your phone up to 50% or more.
- Take a complete backup of your phone data [Follow any method]
- How to Backup Your Android Phone Without ROOT
- How to Backup Complete Stock or Custom ROM using TWRP recovery
- Backup Your Android Apps and Data with Titanium Backup
- How to Backup Your Android Phone Directly to PC with TWRP!!
- How to Backup Your Data on Android device
- If you already have TWRP: then you can Create and Restore Nandroid Backup via TWRP
- Do a full data wipe in the stock recovery (this is mandatory, twrp wipe will not work)
- First of all, you need to Unlock Bootloader on Huawei Mate 9 (hi3660)
- Install the latest TWRP recovery on Huawei Mate 9.
- Download LineageOS 16: Click Here to download. [Thanks to the XDA Senior member micky387]
- Android 9.0 Pie Gapps not necessary!
- Note: First boot can take some time. They may even loop a few times...
Instructions to Install on Huawei Mate 9:
- Move the download Android 9.0 Pie and Android Pie Gapps to internal storage [root folder]
- Now boot your device into TWRP Recovery.
- Before installing Wipe System Data on TWRP Recovery (DO NOT WIPE INTERNAL STORAGE)
- Now follow the guide on how to flash custom ROM using TWRP Recovery
- reboot to system, then again recovery and then you can follow the same guide to flash the Gapps file on your phone.
- That's it! You can reboot your device to enjoy Android 9.0 Pie Update on Huawei Mate 9.
Root Android 9.0 Pie on Huawei Mate 9:
We are not responsible if the rooting procedure didn't work on your phone.
Download and Install SuperSU root on your phone.
If you don't want SuperSU rooting guide, then you can try Magisk on your phone.
Hope this guide was helpful to install Android 9.0 Pie update for Huawei Mate 9.