Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II is one of the much-awaited first-person shooter video games that is a sequel to the 2019 reboot. Though the title has been newly released and doing quite well, several players are encountering the COD Modern Warfare 2 Error Code 0x887a0005 while trying to launch the game. While Modern Warfare 2 error says, “The application has unexpectedly stopped working” to the players on the frustrating PC.
Apart from the in-game lags, startup crashes, dev errors, graphical glitches, etc., some error codes also trouble many COD Modern Warfare II PC players. This specific error occurs due to corrupted or missing game files, graphics driver issues, etc. There are a couple of reasons that can cause this issue. Now, if you’re one of the victims of this issue on the PC, follow this troubleshooting guide.
Fix: Modern Warfare 2 Error 0X887A0005 The application has unexpectedly stopped working
Several online forums and tweets have been reporting that COD Modern Warfare 2 crashes quite often due to the mentioned error during launching. Whereas some affected PC players are complaining about the Steam connection timed-out error which is also irritating. Fortunately, there are a couple of possible workarounds mentioned below that should come in handy. So, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into it.
1. Keep the Stable Nvidia GPU Driver
It’s also worth recommending using the Nvidia GeForce App for v516.59 or v522.25 drivers to minimize the stability issues with the Call of Duty MWII until the new patch update arrives. You can also try to roll back the graphics driver version to 522.25 or 516.59 to get rid of this issue.
We've noticed some stability issues with the latest NVIDIA drivers 526.47 on Call of Duty #MWII. For now we'd suggest you keep the 516.59, or 522.25 drivers.
— BeenoxCODPC (@BeenoxCODPC) October 27, 2022
2. Turn Off Instant Replay in GeForce Experience
Make sure to switch off the ‘Instant Replay’ option in the Nvidia GeForce Experience app on the PC to check if the problem has been fixed or not.
3. Switch Off Parallax Effects
It’s highly recommended to turn off the parallax effects option from the in-game settings menu. Some of the affected players did find this method useful. To do so:
- You’ll need to choose the Interface option from the settings menu of the game.
- Scroll down until you find out the ‘Parallax Effects’ option.
- Now, make sure to turn it Off.
Modern Warfare 2 and Warzone 2 Gets Disconnected from Steam; how to Fix?
How to Fix Modern Warfare 2 Blurry Graphics Issue
Modern Warfare 2 Best Search and Destroy Class Loadout
All COD Modern Warfare 2 Errors, Problems and Fixes
Fix Modern Warfare 2 Dev Error 11642, 292, and 401
Fix: Modern Warfare 2 Stuck on Logging into Online Services
4. Update GPU Drivers
An outdated or corrupted graphics card driver can trigger multiple issues with the games or system performance while running programs. It’s highly recommended to check the graphics driver update. To do so:
- Press the Win+X keys to open the Quick Link Menu.
- Click on Device Manager from the list > Double-click on Display adapters.
- Right-click on the dedicated graphics card that you’re currently using.
- Click on Update driver > Choose Search automatically for drivers.
- If there is the latest update available, it’ll automatically download & install the latest version.
- Once done, restart the computer to apply changes immediately.
If there is no update available for your GPU then you can go to the official graphics card website from the links below and search for the model of your graphics manually. Make sure to download and install the latest GPU driver for your model number as per the manufacturer.
5. Update COD Modern Warfare II
In some scenarios, it’s always a better idea to update the game version because an outdated game patch version can trigger several potential issues on the gaming device that leads to crashes, lags, stutters, CPU/GPU-related issues, and more. To do so:
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library.
- Click on COD Modern Warfare II from the list of installed games on the left pane.
- Now, the client will automatically search for the available update.
- If there is an update available, click on the Update option.
- Wait for a couple of minutes or so until the game update completes. [Depends on the storage space and internet connectivity]
- Once done, make sure to close the Steam client.
- Finally, reboot your PC to apply changes, and launch the COD Modern Warfare 2 game again.
- Open the Battle.net (Blizzard) launcher.
- Click on the Blizzard logo from the top left corner.
- Go to Settings > Click on Game Install/Update.
- Click on Apply latest updates and download future patch data for recently played games to enable it.
- Now, click on Done to save changes > Restart the Battle.net launcher to apply changes.
- It should automatically update the game to the available version.
6. Repair Game Files
Sometimes corrupted or missing game files on the PC may trigger some issues with the game launching or running smoothly. Make sure to verify the game files and repair them via the Steam or Battle.net client by following the steps below:
- Open the Steam client on the PC and log into the account > Head over to Library.
- Right-click on the COD Modern Warfare II game from the left pane.
- Click on Properties > Click on the Local Files tab.
- Then click on Verify Integrity of game files…
- Now, wait for the process to complete, and close the Steam client.
- Finally, restart the PC to apply changes.
- Open the Battle.net client on your PC.
- Click on the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II game.
- Now, click on OPTIONS (Gear icon) > Click on Scan and Repair.
- Choose Begin Scan and wait for the process to complete.
- Once done, close the Battle.net launcher, and restart your PC.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For additional queries, you can comment below.