OnePlus has unveiled its new 8 series of devices. The new OnePlus 8 sports a 6.55-inch display, Snapdragon 865, 8/12GB RAM, 128/256GB storage, triple rear camera setup, and runs on Oxygen 10.
TWRP recovery is probably the most used and most popular custom recoveries that we all know. For those who are quite accustomed to rooting and flashing custom ROM, etc. then, they know what TWRP Recovery is. However, for naive, the TWRP Recovery allows users to install custom ROMs/mods, take a complete backup of your phone, gain root access on your phone using Magisk Manager.
However, you are required to have TWRP access before you can go ahead and root your OnePlus 8. And for flashing the TWRP recovery image, you need to follow the guide properly to avoid errors. And if you happen to own an OnePlus 8 and are looking for ways to download and install the TWRP Recovery on your phone then, you are at the right place as in this post, and we will guide you on how to download and install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 8 and eventually root using Magisk. So, that being said, let us get straight into the article itself:
Table of Contents
- 1 OnePlus 8 Specifications: Overview
- 2 What is TWRP Recovery?
- 3 Advantages of TWRP Recovery
- 4 Steps to Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 8
- 5 Instructions to Install TWRP
- 6 Root OnePlus 8 Using Magisk
OnePlus 8 Specifications: Overview
The OnePlus 8 features a smaller 6.55 inches Fluid AMOLED display that comes with a Full HD+ display, which comes with pixels of 1080 x 2400. It also comes with an aspect ratio of 20:9, a pixel density of 402 Pixel Per Inch (PPI), HDR10+ compatible display, 3D Corning Gorilla Glass, and a screen refresh rate of 90Hz.
Underneath the OnePlus 8, it sports the Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 SoC, which is built on the 7nm process. We have seen this Soc in many other smartphones now. This is an octa-core SoC, and the setup includes a single Kryo 585 core, which clocks at a higher speed i.e., at 2.84 GHz, other three Kryo 585 cores which clock at 2.42 GHz. And finally, four Kryo 585 core, which clocks at 1.80 GHz. To the GPU side, it has the Adreno 650, which clocks at 587 MHz. Coming to the memory side, it sports 8 and 12GB of LPDDR4X RAM. And it has 128 and 256GB of UFS 3.0 storage. This can’t be expanded via the micro SD card like the Pro version.
Coming to the optics, the OnePlus 8 sports a triple rear camera setup, which is arranged in a vertical manner to the center. This has a primary 48MP Sony IMX 586 sensor with f/1.75 aperture, Laser AF, EIS, OIS, 6P lens, and omnidirectional PDAF. Further, it gets a 16MP ultra wide-angle sensor with f/2.2 aperture, PDAF, and field of view of 116°. Finally, it gets a 2MP depth sensor with f/2.4 aperture. This device also gets a Dual LED flash, no optical zoom support, although the sensor supports 2x zoom. To the front, just like the Pro version, this device gets a 16MP Sony IMX 471 sensor with an aperture value of f/2.45.
The OnePlus 8 packs a 4,300 mAh battery that charges over the type C port. This also supports for 30W Wrap fast charging tech, and the brand claims that it can do up to 50% in just 23 minutes. This new device runs on Oxygen OS 10.0, which is based on the latest Android 10. Connectivity options include Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot, Bluetooth 5.1, A2DP, LE, aptX HD,, GPS with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, SBAS, NFC, and USB 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go. This new device is available in three color options, namely the Glacial Green, Ultramarine Blue, and Onyx Black. Finally, coming to the pricing, it starts at $ 699.
What is TWRP Recovery?
Team Win Recovery Project or TWRP Recovery is a useful and popular custom recovery, which is open-source software. The touch-screen enabled interface allows users to flash third-party firmware and back up the system or data easily like never before. For Android customization lovers or developers, a custom recovery is a much-needed tool or software.
Additionally, you can install the kernel, modules, root or unroot, take Nandroid backups, etc. Meanwhile, you can wipe system partitions, internal storage, data, cache, vendor, etc. very easily.
Advantages of TWRP Recovery
- Backups of partitions in TAR or raw Image format
- Restore backups from internal storage, external SD storage or OTG devices
- Install Custom Firmware
- Install flashable ZIPs and image files
- Partition wiping
- Delete System, Cache, Vendor, Partition, User Data, etc
- Install Root or Unroot by flashing ZIPs
- Terminal access
- ADB Root Shell
- Theme Support
- Possible decryption support depending on the device
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 8
Now before we go ahead and install TWRP Recovery on the OnePlus 8, let us make a list of pre-requisites that are required to unlock it:
Charge your phone
You need to make sure that your OnePlus 8 is charged to about 60% before installing TWRP recovery to avoid any boot loop issues during the unlocking process.
Take a complete backup
Before rooting, one of the most important things that you need to do on your phone is to take a complete backup of your phone. For that, you can follow the guide by clicking the link below:
Activate Developer Options
To Enable the Developer Option on your device, follow the below steps:
- Go to the Settings menu of your Android device.
- Then scroll down and go to About.
- Now you need to head to Software Information>> More.
- Here tap on the Build Number 7-8 times until you see a message “You are now a developer”.
You also need to enable USB Debugging and OEM unlock option under the Developer Options menu. And to do that:
- Head over to Developer Options and toggle ON the USB Debugging option as well as the OEM unlock option.
Install ADB and Fastboot tools
You need to install the latest ADB and Fastboot tools on your PC. For that, you can follow the link mentioned below:
Unlock the bootloader
In order to install the TWRP Recovery, you have to first unlock the bootloader on OnePlus 8.
Download OnePlus USB Drivers
You can follow the link below in order to download the correct OnePlus USB drivers for your phone.
Download Official TWRP Recovery
Here you will find the latest and official TWRP recovery for the OnePlus 8.OnePlus 8 TWRP Recovery (Test Version)
Instructions to Install TWRP
Follow the step by step instructions mentioned below to simply install the TWRP Recovery on your OnePlus 8:
- Firstly, download the TWRP recovery from the above download section.
- Extract the contents of the zip file into a folder.
- Download ADB and Fastboot tools zip file and extract the components of it as well.
- Copy and paste all the files extracted from the TWRP Recovery zip files into the same folders where you have extracted the contents of the ADB and Fastboot tools.
- Connect your OnePlus 8 to the PC using a USB cable.
- By pressing the Shift button on your keyboard, open a Powershell or command prompt.
- Enter the below command in the Powershell or command prompt:
adb reboot bootloader
- Now once the phone has booted up in the Fastboot mode, execute the following command:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Now enter the below command:
- That’s it!
Root OnePlus 8 Using Magisk
- Now you need to install the Magisk Manager APK on your phone.
- Place it in the internal memory on your device.
- Then head over to recovery by pressing the Volume up + Power button together.
- Make sure you have created a backup of your OnePlus 8.
- In TWRP, select Install and locate Magisk.zip and select the file.
- Swipe to Install and flash it.
- Restart your device.
So, there you have it from my side in this post. I hope you guys liked this post and were able to install the TWRP Recovery and root your OnePlus 8 smartphone. Let us know in the comments below if you faced any issues while installing the TWRP recovery on your phone and then rooting it using Magisk. Until the next post…Cheers!