Sony is back with its latest smartphone Sony Xperia 1 with beautiful looks and powerful specs. In the world of large displays, this seems quite comfortable to hold. Installing TWRP Recovery and Rooting your Android device now becomes quite easy and useful too. Here in this guide, we will share with you the steps on How to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Sony Xperia 1 (codename: Griffin) device easily. The TWRP Recovery installation process will also require unlocking the device bootloader. So, we will share how to Unlock the Sony Xperia 1 Bootloader guide as well.
The smartphone OEMs don’t provide an unlocked bootloader for some security reasons. Whereas unlocking the device bootloader will come in handy to install custom recovery as well. The Custom Recovery tools will be like TWRP, CWM, etc. Here we will use the TWRP Recovery. By installing the TWRP Recovery, you can easily flash firmware files, install root, take a full backup, and more.
Table of Contents
- 1 Sony Xperia 1 Specifications
- 2 TWRP Recovery and its Advantages
- 3 Steps to Install TWRP Recovery On Sony Xperia 1 (Griffin)
- 4 What is Root? (Advantages)
- 5 Steps to Root Sony Xperia 1
Sony Xperia 1 Specifications
Sony Xperia 1 was announced in February 2019 which sports a 6.5-inch OLED display with a screen resolution of 3840 x 1644 pixels with 643 PPI pixel density. The device is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 6.
Sony Xperia 1 is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 chipset coupled with 6GB of RAM and 64/128GB of internal storage. It also supports an 1TB external memory card. The device came out of the box with Android 9.0 Pie and backed by a 3300 mAh battery (Non-removable).
As far as the camera concerned, the device has a Triple-camera setup with 12MP + 12MP + 12MP primary sensors and a selfie camera with an 8MP lens. Other connectivity option includes 4G-VoLTE, GPS, Glonass, Bluetooth, Mobile Hotspot, accelerometer, ambient light sensor, gyroscope, proximity sensor, and compass/ magnetometer. etc. The Sony Xperia 1 come with a side fingerprint sensor feature.
TWRP Recovery and its Advantages
TWRP stands for Team Win Recovery Project. It basically lets the user flash custom recovery files, firmware files, root files easily on their Android smartphones. The firmware and other zip files can be easily flashed by this tool.
Meanwhile, you can also install or flash the custom recovery files, Xposed Modules, etc on your device. Additionally, creating the Nandroid backups & restores, factory reset, install GApps, etc can be done easily.
Advantages of TWRP Recovery:
- You can flash Custom ROM on Sony Xperia 1 using TWRP
- You can flash modding zip files to customize your phone
- Easy to flash and use Xposed Modules using TWRP
- Easy to Root and Unroot using TWRP Recovery flashable zip SuperSU
- You can install Magisk on Sony Xperia 1
- Easy to Create and Restore Nandroid Backup using TWRP Recovery.
- Easy access to restore the Nandroid Backup.
- You can flash the image file using TWRP Recovery on Sony Xperia 1.
- Easy to remove all bloatware using TWRP Recovery on Sony Xperia 1.
- To underclock and overclock.
- You can clean Wipe, Cache, and Data.
Now, let’s check how to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Sony Xperia 1 devices.
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery On Sony Xperia 1 (Griffin)
Before going to the TWRP installation process, make sure to follow all the pre-requirements mentioned below properly.
- The file and guide are supported for the Sony Xperia 1 (Griffin) model only. Don’t try it on other devices.
- Supported Model: J8110, J9110, and J8170
- Sony Xperia 1 bootloader should be unlocked.
- A PC/Laptop and a USB cable are required for this process.
- Make sure to take a Full Backup of Device Data (No Root).
- Download Magisk or SuperSU file for rooting. You can follow one method from below.
- Charge your device battery to full.
- Download and Install the latest Sony USB Drivers on the computer.
Instructions to install
After downloading all the required files, drivers, and tools, follow the installation process.
- First of all, enable the Developer Options and USB Debugging mode on your device.
- Head over to the device Settings > System > About Phone > then tap on the Build Number for seven times to enable Developer options mode.
- Now, go to the Developer options in the Settings menu and turn on the toggle to enable USB debugging.
- Next, open the ADB & Fastboot folder on your computer. Then press and hold the Shift key and right mouse click to open the command window.
- Turn off your device > Press and hold the Volume Up + Power button together for a few seconds to enter into Fastboot mode.
- Connect your device with the PC via a USB cable and type the following code on the command windows and hit enter:
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, your device is connected successfully as a fastboot device.
- Type the following command and hit enter to check the fastboot device connected or not:
- Now, in order to install TWRP Recovery on your phone, type the following command and press enter:
fastboot flash boot <Patch of TWRP>
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
- That’s it. You’ve successfully installed the TWRP Recovery on the Sony Xperia 1 (Griffin) device. Now, you have to flash the Root.
What is Root? (Advantages)
Smartphone Rooting is the unofficial way to enable an administrator or superuser access to your device system and subsystem. Therefore, the user can easily tweak, change, edit, or delete system files and apps easily.
With the help of rooting, you can uninstall bloatware, increase device performance, reduce battery draining, install Xposed modules, and more. However, smartphone rooting will void the device warranty and you may not get software OTA updates anymore. Improper way of rooting can also brick your device easily. Therefore, make sure to follow the guide properly.