Well, If you are here, then you may probably want to install the Custom ROM on Umidigi A7 Pro. As you read our title, yes we can guide you on installing the latest custom ROM on Umidigi A7 Pro based on GSI build.
UMIDIGI has unveiled its new budget smartphone i.e., the UMIDIGI A7 Pro. It comes with a 6.3-inch display, Helio P23 SoC, quad rear camera setup, 4150mAh battery, and runs on Android 10.
When you buy a new phone, it comes with so-called stock ROM or stock firmware which basically means a pre-installed operating system. This ROM usually comes with some limited functionality defined by the OEM (phone manufacturer). Whereas a custom ROM is developed by using AOSP also known as Android Open Source Project. Yes, we all know that Android is open-source and therefore any developer can edit the code, or recompile it according to his or her need. You can read our complete article to understand the difference between Custom ROM and Stock ROM.
Flashing the ROM in Umidigi A7 Pro is easy! All you need to do is follow the instructions carefully. If you are a newbie, then you need to understand that before flashing, you must unlock bootloader on your Umidigi A7 Pro. To unlock the bootloader, follow our guide on how to unlock the bootloader via fastboot mode on any Android device.
If you already unlocked the bootloader, then you can simply follow our guide to install the custom ROM on Umidigi A7 Pro. Before that, let’s understand What is a GSI build.
What is GSI Stands for?
GSI stands for Generic system image which is an Android System image that can be used to replace the current installed Android version with a new one. It is a pure Android with an unmodified Android Open Source Project (AOSP) code. With Android 8.1, Google introduced the project treble support for many devices and now with Android 9.0 Pie, Google finally added the API level 28 to support Generic System Images to all app developers to install and run the latest Android GSIs on a variety of existing Android devices. To know more: Read here
How to Install Custom ROM on Umidigi A7 Pro
To install, as we said, you need to unlock the bootloader and must have a TWRP (to install via a device) or a PC (to install via Fastboot). Yes, there are two methods to install the custom ROM GSI on Umidigi A7 Pro.
AOSP GSIs which is still marked as a pre-release. Even on a device that runs Pie GSIs nicely, it’s still possible to get broken media, camera, RIL, or even flat-out no-boot. You are strongly advised to try PHH’s original and then identify/report issues there, before moving onto other GSIs that is based on his work. Please report bugs on the same thread related to the ROM.
We’re at GetDroidTips won’t be responsible for any kind of damage or error that occurs to your handset while or after following this guide. This is a Custom ROM and may contain some of the bugs or stability issues. We can’t recommend you to use this firmware as your daily driver. Proceed at your own risk.
- This guide is for Umidigi A7 Pro.
- You will require to unlock the device bootloader at first
- ARM, ARM64, or x86: Check your Android Phone’s Processor
- Treble Support: Check If Your Smartphone Supports Project Treble
- Download the required file and Supported the GApps file from below.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
- Download and install Umidigi USB Drivers
- For adb method: Download ADB and Fastboot tool
- For TWRP Method: Download and Install TWRP Recovery on Umidigi A7 Pro
A only arm64 – arm64 avN
A/B arm64 – arm64 bvN
A/B arm32 – arm bvN
Install via TWRP Recovery:
- To install via TWRP, you need to factory reset your device using TWRP
- Go into Wipe option and Swipe to Factory Reset.
- Transfer the GSI build to your Umidigi A7 Pro using USB Cable.
- Once you have moved, you can remove your USB cable.
- In your TWRP, tap on the install button –> Change type to Install Image and find the GSI you have moved in the 3rd step.
- Confirm the flash by choosing the system partition
- Once it is done, you can reboot your device and wait for a few minutes to boot up.
Flash via Fastboot
- First, do the factory reset on Umidigi A7 Pro. There are two methods to do it, follow anyone.
- Factory Reset When Powered On: To install without TWRP, you have to factory reset using your Umdigi A7 Pro factory reset option.
- Factory Reset via Stock Recovery: Reboot your Umidigi A7 Pro into stock recovery using a button combination or ADB command.
adb reboot recovery
- In your Stock Recovery, navigate using the Volume UP and DOWN button.
- Make sure to extract the downloaded GSI build.
- After resetting the factory ROM, you can now boot your device into bootloader mode using adb command
adb reboot bootloader.
- Now open the extracted folder of GSI build, there, now open the command prompt window by holding the SHIFT KEY and Right Mouse click.
- In your command window, enter the command
fastboot erase system
- To flash the system image, enter a command in the following format:
fastboot -u flash system name_of_system.img
- Wait for the image to flash, it could take a few minutes. Once it has completed, reboot your device either manually via power key or by entering
fastboot rebootand wait for a few minutes to boot up.
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the Custom ROM on your Umidigi A7 Pro handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.
Credits to all the developer from XDA forum and 4PDA forum
Did you know?
UmiDigi A7 Pro Device Overview
The UMIDIGI A7 Pro features a 6.3 inches IPS LCD display with a Full HD+ resolution, i.e., with pixels of 1080 x 2160 pixels. This device also gets an old-style waterdrop notch, and it has a pixel density of 409 Pixel Per Inch (PPI), a screen to body ratio of 82.23 percent, scratch-resistant glass and also it uses a 2.5D glass.
Coming to the internals of UMIDIGI A7 Pro, it sports the MediaTek MT6763V, which is also known as Helio P23 SoC. It is built on the 16nm process and has an octa-core setup. This setup includes four Cortex A53 cores, which clocks at 2.0GHz, and four Cortex A53 cores that clocks at 1.5GHz. It is a 64 bit SoC, and to the GPU side, it sports the ARM Mali G71 MP2 GPU that clocks at 700MHz. Coming to the memory side, it comes with 4GB of RAM. This pairs with 64, and 128GB of eMMC 5.1 of internal storage. Further, this internal storage is expandable via the micro SD card up to 256GB. The smartphone runs on the latest Android 10 out of the box.
If we talk about the camera, the UMIDIGI A7 Pro sports a quad rear camera setup that is arranged vertically to the left of the back panel in a rectangle, the flash is also included in this setup. This setup includes a primary 16MP Sony IMX 398 sensor with an aperture value of f/2.0. This sensor pairs with a secondary 8MP ultra wide-angle sensor with an aperture value of f/2.2. Further, it gets a 2MP macro sensor with an aperture value of f/2.4, and finally another 2MP depth sensor with an aperture value of f/2.4. It also supports LED flash, Digital Zoom, HDR, Panorama, autofocus, and touch focus. To the front, the device gets a 16MP sensor with an f/2.0 aperture value.
The UMIDIGI A7 Pro packs a 4,150 mAh battery that charges over the USB type C port. Sadly it doesn’t come with support for any fast charging tech. Connectivity options include Bluetooth v4.2, A2DP, LE,, Wi-Fi- Wi-Fi 802.11, a/b/g/n/ac, Dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, Hotspot, GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, and USB Type-C, USB 2.0. Sensors onboard include Ambient Light, Accelerometer, Proximity, and Compass. Talking about the biometric options, it comes with a rear-mounted fingerprint scanner, and as well as support for face unlock.