Here we will guide on how to install Official TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6 (enchilada). Once you finish the installation, you can root your phone using TWRP recovery.
Finally, TWRP Team has released the official TWRP Recovery for OnePlus 6. Thanks to XDA Developer Dees_Troy for sharing the TWRP Recovery for OnePlus 6 in XDA OnePlus 6 forum. Full Credits to the developer and the TWRP team.
After the success of OnePlus 6, OnePlus has finally launched their new successor OnePlus 6. With the OnePlus 6, the company has stepped further with the design and build quality. The notch at the top of the edge-to-edge display on the OnePlus 6 is said to be just 19.6mm x 7.68mm big. OnePlus 6 comes with a glass design, which is a departure from the metal unibody featured on the 3, 3T, 5 and 5T.
Today we will guide you on how to install Official TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6. TWRP recovery is considered to be one of the important contributions from the active developer community that Android has. This open-source custom recovery is in wide usage around the world. TWRP recovery helps to install Custom ROM, Kernel, Mods, Root or even backup and restore any ROM.
If you are here, then you probably wondering how to install the TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6. You can simply follow the guide given here. Once you have installed, you can flash the Super SU or Magisk to root your device very quickly. Before we install TWRP Recovery, let’s understand what is TWRP Recovery and their advantage.
What is TWRP Recovery:
TWRP stands for TeamWin Recovery Project is a fully touch-based and open source custom recovery for Android devices. It is the best custom recovery after ClockworkMod (aka CWM). Unlike Stock Recovery, TWRP helps to install Custom ROM, Kernel, Mods or even root any Android devices in just a few simple steps.[su_quote cite=”Wikipedia” url=”https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWRP”]Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) is an open-source software custom recovery image for Android-based devices. It provides a touchscreen-enabled interface that allows users to install third-party firmware and back up the current system, functions often unsupported by stock recovery images. It is, therefore, often installed when rooting Android devices, although it isn’t dependent on a device being rooted to be installed.[/su_quote]
Advantages of TWRP Recovery:
- You can flash Custom ROM on OnePlus 6 using TWRP
- You can flash modding zip files to customize your phone
- Easy to flash and use Xposed Modules using TWRP
- Easy to Root and Unroot using TWRP Recovery flashable zip SuperSU
- You can install Magisk on OnePlus 6
- Easy to Create and Restore Nandroid Backup using TWRP Recovery.
- Easy access to restore the Nandroid Backup.
- You can flash the image file using TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6.
- Easy to remove all bloatware using TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6.
- To underclock and overclock.
- You can clean Wipe, Cache, and Data.
Before doing the methods, I just want to warn you that, By doing this you will loose the warranty and sometime if you don’t read the steps and do something wrong can brick your device. That won’t happen though you follow our step by step guide carefully.
- Official and Unofficial Lineage OS 14.1 Device List and Download Link
- List Of Devices Getting Lineage OS 15.0 (Android 8.0 Oreo)
- Android Oreo is Here: List Of Official Supported Device
- List of MIUI 9 Supported Devices – Official and Unofficial
- List of All AOSP Android 8.0 Oreo Supported Device
- Resurrection Remix Oreo Release Date: List of Supported device
- Dirty Unicorns Oreo ROM: Supported Devices List, Downloads and Features
- List of Supported Devices to receive Mokee OS 8.1 Oreo Custom ROM
- List of Supported Devices for Lineage OS 15.1 (Android 8.1 Oreo)
- OmniROM Oreo: List of Supported devices, Features, and Release
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6Watch The Video on How to Install Official TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6
Remember this guide is to install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6, so don’t try the same recovery image on any other device. Before flashing recovery, please read and install the required drivers and software on your PC.
Download Required Files
(Works on 3.2.1-1 for Hydrogen & Oxygen OS)
- This Guide Supported for OnePlus 6
- You need to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 6.
- Install latest OnePlus USB Drivers
- You need either Laptop or PC.
- Charge your phone to at least 70%
- Back up your device just in case if you need it later
- Download Minimal ADB Tool – CLICK HERE or Download the Full ADB setup for Windows / Mac here and Extract it.
- Download and Install OxygenOS 5.1.3 for OnePlus 6 [Full ROM and OTA]
- Download and Install OxygenOS 5.1.5 for OnePlus 6 [Full ROM and OTA]
- How to Download and Install Android P Beta on OnePlus 6 [Developer Preview]
- How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 6
- OnePlus 6 Stock Firmware Collections (Back to Stock ROM/Restore)
Installation Guide using ADB fastboot method:[su_note note_color=”#035786″ text_color=”#ffffff”]At GetDroidTips, We will not be held responsible for any kind of damage occurred to your device while following this Guide. Do it at your own risk. Remember rooting or installation of Custom Recovery will void the warranty of your phone.[/su_note]
Follow the instructions given down below to install TWRP on your phone:Watch The Video on How to Install Official TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6
To install the TWRP Recovery permanently, you need both TWRP Recovery img and zip file from the official TWRP website. Move the downloaded flashable zip file to internal storage on your phone.
- First of all, Download and install or extract the Android SDK or Minimal ADB Folder
- Now Go to C:\adb on the PC where Android SDK folder is found
- Now open the command window (CMD) on the same adb folder by holding the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- Select the ‘Open PowerShell window here’ or Command Window option.
- Turn off your phone completely
- Once you completely shut down, now connect the device to the PC while holding the Volume Down key.
- It will boot into fastboot, Now enter the following command to install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 6:
fastboot boot twrp-3.2.1-0-enchilada.img
- This will install the TWRP temporarily. Now boot into TWRP Recovery.
- Now flash the TWRP Recovery flashable zip file which you have moved to internal storage.
- To flash, in TWRP Recovery –> Install –> Look for the TWRP Flashable zip file –> Swipe to flash.
- That’s it! you can reboot your phone using the following command or simply press the power button:
That’s it! You have installed TWRP Successfully!
How to Root OnePlus 6
To root your phone, you need either a supported TWRP Recovery or any rooting apps. With the help of rooting apps, you can root OnePlus 6 without PC/Computer. Here in this guide we already have a supported TWRP Recovery, so I will guide here to flash the superSU or Magisk to root your phone. Before rooting, let’s understand What is rooting in Android Phone?
What Does Rooting Mean?
Rooting doesn’t mean hacking. So please don’t compare the term hacking to rooting. In fact, it is not true at all. Well, Rooting for Android means nothing but jailbreaking the device to get access to the root directory of your android mobile. This means you are removing the restrictions and limitations from your Android Phone or Tablet to perform unperformable tasks.
By Rooting OnePlus 6, you are injecting a file known as SU binary to the root of your phone. Technically Speaking, Rooting Any Android Phone will void the brand warranty but don’t worry, you can unroot or restore your device any time without any issues.
The advantage of Rooting:
- You can get access to all files on your OnePlus 6, even the files which present in the root directory of your phone.
- You can increase the performance of your OnePlus 6 by overclocking.
- By rooting you can increase battery life by underclocking OnePlus 6.
- Uninstall Bloatware on OnePlus 6.
- You can block Ads on any Android applications such as Youtube and other game related applications. Also Read: Top 5 Adblock Plus Alternatives for Android
- By Rooting OnePlus 6, you can View, Edit or Delete any system file inside the root directory.
- You can install Xposed Framework and many Xposed module support.
Guide to Root:
Here is the guide on how to root OnePlus 6 smartphone. Make sure to download either SuperSU or Magisk to root your phone.[su_note note_color=”#faf5ce” text_color=”#1d1d1d”]Warning: Don’t try to flash both Magisk and SuperSU on your phone. You need to root either with SuperSU or Magisk[/su_note] Full Guide to install SuperSU on your phone Full Guide to install Magisk and Magisk Manager
I hope this guide was helpful to root and install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6. Any queries, you can leave a comment down below.
Credit goes to wuxianlin