Do you have Steam Deck Controller? Do you have a problem with your Steam Deck Controller? If so, you’ll find this guide useful. Despite its excellent performance, our experience with the Steam Deck was marred by several bizarre issues, including problems connecting and odd performance symptoms.
There are 15 physical buttons on the Elgato Steam Deck, making it a small control panel with a small number of customizable options. Streamers will appreciate how easy it is to switch between multiple controls without leaving a game to do so. But, this kind of error is what no one wants to face ever. That’s the reason why we are here. In this article, we have mentioned some fixes using which you can resolve the Steam Deck Controller not working issue. So, let’s get started with the guide.
How To Fix Steam Deck Controller Not Working Issue
It’s not a problem as we have some fixes to resolve the Steam Deck Controller not working issue. You should therefore perform the fixes listed below if you encounter this issue. So, let’s check out the fixes:
Fix 1: Check The Batteries
You may find that your Steam Deck Controller is not working simply because it hasn’t been charged properly. There are numerous cases when the Deck stops working when the batteries aren’t fully charged. I know this may seem strange, but it happens quite often.
In order to ensure proper charging, make sure all charging cables are tightened or plugged in/out properly. You can check again if the Deck not working issue has been resolved.
Fix 2: Power Cycle Your Deck
You may have some random bugs or glitches with your Steam Deck if you have checked to ensure that all cables are connected to your Deck station. As a result, it is extremely important to flush these bugs from your device’s RAM. Nevertheless, power cycling can be helpful for this purpose. Power cycling your Deck, therefore, requires you to:
- Your Steam Deck should be turned off by pressing the power button.
- After that, remove any wires or cables attached to it, including the power cable.
- After that, wait for 20-30 seconds before plugging in the cables.
- If the Steam Deck does not work, turn the power back on and see if the issue is resolved.
Fix 3: Check The Power Connection
Do you know if your device receives a proper power supply? Did you check the power connection? Your Deck might not be charging properly because the port or socket you are using isn’t functioning properly, which is why you are experiencing this issue.
Due to this, it is essential to ensure that there is no fluctuation in the electricity because it can possibly damage your Deck. While you check whether the port has any issues, we recommend you try using another socket or port. However, you should let it charge for 2-3 hours before using it again.
Fix 4: Thoroughly Check The Charging Cable
There are times when a faulty charging cable is the primary cause of this type of problem. For this reason, you must first take the Deck’s charging cable out and inspect it. Externally, check that the cable does not have any cuts or damage.
Steam Deck won’t work if you find any damage to the charging cable, in which case replacing it will be the best option.
Fix 5: Check For Damage
We couldn’t ignore the possibility that your Deck might have some external damage even though there are very few chances of it. Sometimes a small dent can damage the device. When you turn off the power button, plug out all the cables again.
If there is any damage to your Deck, then take it out and check it thoroughly. The Steam service center is your best bet if you find any damage, so, without taking any chances, we suggest you take it to that location and have it repaired.
Fix 6: Clean The Ports
A dirty port or debris could prevent the charging cable from properly connecting your device and Deck if there is dirt or debris in it. Thus, cleaning the ports of your Steam Deck would be a great idea.
However, you should not use any sharp objects to clean the ports since this may result in severe damage. In place of low-capacity air blowers, you can use cotton sticks, for instance.
Fix 7: Contact the Support Team
Is the error still occurring? It is only then that you can contact the customer support team if that is the case. Visit their support page and create a complaint ticket directly, or mail them directly. After that, they will surely give you a reply; therefore, be patient until they guide you on how to solve this problem.
Fix 8: Some Additional Fixes
- It is a good idea to pair your Steam Controller to the device you intend to use first. Turn off your controller, plug in the wireless USB dongle, and hold down the (A) and Steam buttons to select your device.
- If your Steam Client isn’t up to date, you might want to check that too. You can check for Steam updates by launching the Steam client and selecting Steam > Check for Steam Client Updates…
- After that, you’ll need to run the Steam Client in Big Picture Mode. Right at the top of the Steam Client, click the rectangle with two opposing arrows icon to turn on the Steam Controller. It is designed to work with the Big Picture Interface.
- If the problem persists, it may be necessary to run Steam as the administrator. To do that:
- Open the Steam installation folder (default location is C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/).
- Select steam.exe from the right-click menu.
- Run this program as an administrator
- You should also enable the Steam Overlay. In order to enable:
- You can find the Settings icon in the top right corner of the client when in Big Picture Mode.
- Under Features, select Steam Overlay.
- Enable the Steam Overlay by checking the box.
- You should sign up if you’re interested in trying out Steam Client Beta. By installing the Steam Client early, users will be able to receive updates and fixes ahead of the regular Steam Client. In order to opt-in:
- On the client’s top right, select the Settings icon.
- Navigate to the System menu.
- Make sure the Participate in Client Beta checkbox is checked.
- Lastly, click Check for Updates. It will automatically download and install updates if they are available.
I think you have now fixed the Steam Deck Controller not working issue. This concludes our discussion. Hopefully, this troubleshooting article has taught you something new. However, if you have any doubts or questions about this topic, please let us know in the comments below.