Here we will guide on how to install TWRP Recovery on Moto E5 Play [Codenamed James]. Once you finish the installation, you can root your phone using TWRP recovery.
Just like the new Moto G6 series, there are three different E5 models for 2018. There’s the “regular” Moto E5, along with a Moto E5 Plus and a Moto E5 Play. The E5 Play is the cheapest of the bunch and is clearly a different base device that feels more like a continuation of last year’s Moto E4 than a bottom-tier version of the new E5 design. The device came out of the box with Android 8.0 Oreo.
Today we will guide you on how to install TWRP Recovery on Moto E5 Play [James]. TWRP recovery is considered to be one of the important contributions from the active developer community that Android has. This open-source custom recovery is in wide usage around the world. TWRP recovery helps to install Custom ROM, Kernel, Mods, Root or even backup and restore any ROM.
If you are here, then you probably wondering how to install the TWRP Recovery on Moto E5 Play. You can simply follow the guide given here. Once you have installed, you can flash the Super SU or Magisk to root your device very quickly. Before we install TWRP Recovery, let’s understand what is TWRP Recovery and their advantage.
- 1 Moto E5 Play specifications:
- 2 What is TWRP Recovery:
- 3 Steps to Install TWRP Recovery on Moto E5 Play[James]
- 4 How to Root Moto E5 Play
Moto E5 Play specifications:
Moto E5 Play features a 5.2 -inches display with a screen resolution of 720 x 1440 pixels. The smartphone is powered by 1.4 GHz Cortex-A53 Quad-core Qualcomm MSM8917 Snapdragon 425 coupled with 2GB of RAM and Adreno 308 GPU. The phone packs 16GB internal memory which can also be expanded up to 256GB via microSD card. The camera on the Moto E5 Play comes with 8MP (f/2.0) phase detection autofocus, dual-LED dual-tone flash camera and 5MP front shooting camera with LED flash.
What is TWRP Recovery:
TWRP stands for TeamWin Recovery Project is a fully touch-based and open source custom recovery for Android devices. It is the best custom recovery after ClockworkMod (aka CWM). Unlike Stock Recovery, TWRP helps to install Custom ROM, Kernel, Mods or even root any Android devices in just a few simple steps.[su_quote cite=”Wikipedia” url=”https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWRP”]Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) is an open-source software custom recovery image for Android-based devices. It provides a touchscreen-enabled interface that allows users to install third-party firmware and back up the current system, functions often unsupported by stock recovery images. It is, therefore, often installed when rooting Android devices, although it isn’t dependent on a device being rooted to be installed.[/su_quote]
Advantages of TWRP Recovery:
- You can flash Custom ROM on Moto E5 Play using TWRP
- You can flash modding zip files to customize your phone
- Easy to flash and use Xposed Modules using TWRP
- Easy to Root and Unroot using TWRP Recovery flashable zip SuperSU
- You can install Magisk on Moto E5 Play
- Easy to Create and Restore Nandroid Backup using TWRP Recovery.
- Easy access to restore the Nandroid Backup.
- You can flash the image file using TWRP Recovery on Moto E5 Play.
- Easy to remove all bloatware using TWRP Recovery on Moto E5 Play.
- To underclock and overclock.
- You can clean Wipe, Cache, and Data.
Before doing the methods, I just want to warn you that, By doing this you will loose the warranty and sometime if you don’t read the steps and do something wrong can brick your device. That won’t happen though you follow our step by step guide carefully.
- Official and Unofficial Lineage OS 14.1 Device List and Download Link
- List Of Devices Getting Lineage OS 15.0 (Android 8.0 Oreo)
- Android Oreo is Here: List Of Official Supported Device
- List of MIUI 9 Supported Devices – Official and Unofficial
- List of All AOSP Android 8.0 Oreo Supported Device
- Resurrection Remix Oreo Release Date: List of Supported device
- Dirty Unicorns Oreo ROM: Supported Devices List, Downloads and Features
- List of Supported Devices to receive Mokee OS 8.1 Oreo Custom ROM
- List of Supported Devices for Lineage OS 15.1 (Android 8.1 Oreo)
- OmniROM Oreo: List of Supported devices, Features, and Release
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery on Moto E5 Play[James]
Remember this guide is to install TWRP Recovery on Moto E5 Play [James], so don’t try the same recovery image on any other device. Before flashing recovery, please read and install the required drivers and software on your PC.
Download Required Files
- This Guide Supported for Moto E5 Play [James]
- You need to Unlock Bootloader on Moto E5 Play.
- Install latest Motorola USB Drivers
- You need either Laptop or PC.
- Charge your phone to at least 70%
- Back up your device just in case if you need it later
- Download Minimal ADB Tool – CLICK HERE or Download the Full ADB setup for Windows / Mac here and Extract it.
Installation Guide using ADB fastboot method:[su_note note_color=”#035786″ text_color=”#ffffff”]At GetDroidTips, We will not be held responsible for any kind of damage occurred to your device while following this Guide. Do it at your own risk. Remember rooting or installation of Custom Recovery will void the warranty of your phone.[/su_note]
Follow the instructions given down below to install TWRP on your phone:
- First of all, Download and install or extract the Android SDK or Minimal ADB Folder
- Now Go to C:\adb on the PC where Android SDK folder is found
- Now open the command window (CMD) on the same adb folder by holding the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- Select the ‘Open PowerShell window here’ or Command Window option.
- Turn off your phone completely
- Once you completely shut down, now connect the device to the PC while holding the Volume Down key.
- It will boot into fastboot, Now enter the following command to install TWRP recovery on Moto E5 Play[James]:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Once you are done, you can reboot your phone using the following command:
That’s it! You have installed TWRP Successfully!
How to Root Moto E5 Play
To root your phone, you need either a supported TWRP Recovery or any rooting apps. With the help of rooting apps, you can root Moto E5 Play without PC/Computer. Here in this guide we already have a supported TWRP Recovery, so I will guide here to flash the superSU or Magisk to root your phone. Before rooting, let’s understand What is rooting in Android Phone?
What Does Rooting Mean?
Rooting doesn’t mean hacking. So please don’t compare the term hacking to rooting. In fact, it is not true at all. Well, Rooting for Android means nothing but jailbreaking the device to get access to the root directory of your android mobile. This means you are removing the restrictions and limitations from your Android Phone or Tablet to perform unperformable tasks.
By Rooting Moto E5 Play, you are injecting a file known as SU binary to the root of your phone. Technically Speaking, Rooting Any Android Phone will void the brand warranty but don’t worry, you can unroot or restore your device any time without any issues.
The advantage of Rooting:
- You can get access to all files on your Moto E5 Play, even the files which present in the root directory of your phone.
- You can increase the performance of your Moto E5 Play by overclocking.
- By rooting you can increase battery life by underclocking Moto E5 Play.
- Uninstall Bloatware on Moto E5 Play.
- You can block Ads on any Android applications such as Youtube and other game related applications. Also Read: Top 5 Adblock Plus Alternatives for Android
- By Rooting Moto E5 Play, you can View, Edit or Delete any system file inside the root directory.
- You can install Xposed Framework and many Xposed module support.
Guide to Root:
Here is the guide on how to root Moto E5 Play smartphone. Make sure to download either SuperSU or Magisk to root your phone.[su_note note_color=”#faf5ce” text_color=”#1d1d1d”]Warning: Don’t try to flash both Magisk and SuperSU on your phone. You need to root either with SuperSU or Magisk[/su_note] Full Guide to install SuperSU on your phone Full Guide to install Magisk and Magisk Manager
I hope this guide was helpful to root and install TWRP Recovery on Moto E5 Play. Any queries, you can leave a comment down below.