Fortnite is a free-to-play online battle royale video game developed and published by Epic Games back in 2017. The game is available on PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Android, iOS, Windows, Macintosh platforms. It’s one of the popular online battle royale games that look like animated cartoon characters, graphics, and more. Now, talking about the battle royale games, the voice chat feature is one of the most useful features in the gameplay, especially for the multiplayer mode. But if you’re facing Fortnite Voice Chat not working issue, then check the guide on how to fix it.
To be very specific, there can be a couple of reasons behind the issue with the voice chat feature on your Fortnite game. Either the problem is lying within your game or there can be an issue with your microphone or with the adapter or even an outdated audio driver on your computer. So, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into the possible workarounds below.
How to Fix If Fortnite Voice Chat Not Working
Though the issue sounds irritating, you’re not the only one. There are plenty of players are facing this issue and all of them should try the following troubleshooting steps in order to fix the voice chat or audio not working issue. So, first of all, you should update the Windows version. Once done, you can sign out & sign back into the account.
Then you have to check for the Fortnite game update as well. Finally, update your audio driver and check the microphone is working on other games or not. So, let’s jump into it.
1. Check Microphone
You should always check for the microphone on your PC in order to start troubleshooting any audio problem.
- Open the Start menu on the PC.
- Click on Settings > Go to troubleshooter by searching it on the search field.
- Select the Recommended Troubleshooting option.
- Select the Recording Audio option.
- Activate the troubleshooter feature and wait for process to complete.
- Once done, close the Settings window and launch the Fortnite game to check if the issue solved or not.
Must Read: How to Close Fortnite on PC after freezing
2. Update Sound Adapter Driver
- Click on the Start menu > Search for Device Manager and click on it.
- Click on Audio inputs and outputs > Look for your respective sound adapter. (Usually, it will be a Realtek(R) Audio or Intel-based card)
- Right-click on the sound adapter name and select Update driver.
- Now, click on Search automatically for update driver software.
- It will start searching for the latest driver version online. If available just install & apply it. If your audio driver is already in the latest version, then close.
If the latest audio driver is installed, reboot your computer and check for the Fortnite voice chat issue again.
3. Check In-Game Settings
It’s quite possible that somehow the audio level is turned down or muted under the in-game settings option. In order to check this:
- Launch the Fortnite game > Head over to the main menu.
- Select Settings > Set the Voice Chat Input Device to default.
- Now, exit the Fortnite game completely and remove it from the background processes via Task Manager (if any).
- Click on the Windows taskbar > Right-click on the Speaker > Start Playback Devices.
- Then right-click on the Speaker that you’re using or connected to the PC or a default one.
- Select Set as a default communication device.
- Go to the Fortnite game Settings menu > Open Audio settings > Switch voice chat input device to the headset or speaker that you’re using.
- Finally, enable Voice Chat and save the changes.
- Reboot the Fortnite game and check whether the voice chat issue has been solved or not.
4. Change your Faulty Microphone
If in case, nothing works for you, then you should check for your microphone as well. Some times it may be possible that your microphone or its connector becomes faulty. So, it’s also recommended to try any other microphone to clear the doubt.
That’s it, guys. We hope you’ve found this article pretty useful. For any queries, feel free to ask in the comment below.