Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has finally been released on 28th October 2022 and the pre-ordered players have the Campaign Early access right now. Though the title is doing pretty well but several players are encountering multiple issues or bugs in the game that can easily ruin the gaming experience. Meanwhile, the well-known ‘Dev Error 6036’ bug is back again. Now, if you’re also facing COD Modern Warfare 2 Dev Error 6036, you can fix it easily.
The specific ‘Dev Error 6036’ previously occurred in Call of Duty Modern Warfare and COD: Warzone. Now, the same error is appearing to the MWII players due to several possible reasons such as the game installation error, corrupted or missing game files, outdated game version, localized version of the game language, outdated graphics driver, incompatible graphics settings inside the game, and more. Luckily, here we’ve shared workarounds for you to deal with it.
How to Fix COD Modern Warfare 2 Dev Error 6036
Not only PC gamers but also console users are having the same dev error 6036 while launching and playing the COD Modern Warfare 2 game. So, it’s time to jump into the troubleshooting methods below and try fixing the issue one by one. Some of the reports are also suggesting that this specific error is appearing due to the maps available in the game being missing. But we’re expecting that’s not the case with everyone and the reasons are totally different.
1. Run MW2 as an Administrator
First of all, you should run the game exe application file on your PC as an administrator to grant the user account control access. It’ll allow the system to run the program file properly which can prevent the crashing or not launching issues. You can follow the steps below to do so:
- Right-click on the COD: Modern Warfare 2 exe application on your PC.
- Select Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Make sure to click on the Run this program as an administrator checkbox to checkmark it.
- Click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
- Now, run the game to launch it.
Please Note: If in case, you’re one of the Battle.net client or Steam client users to run the Call of Duty: MW2 game then make sure to follow the same steps for the specific game launcher too.
2. Update GPU Drivers
It’s highly recommended to check for the graphics driver update on the PC by following the steps below. By doing so, you’ll be able to install the latest update which will fix several graphical issues with the program. To do so:
- Right-click on the Start Menu to open up the Quick Access Menu.
- Click on Device Manager from the list to open it.
- Double-click on Display adapters to expand it.
- Right-click on the dedicated graphics card that you’re using.
- Click on Update driver > Choose Search automatically for drivers.
- The system will automatically check for the available update.
- If an update is available, it’ll automatically download and install the latest version.
- Once done, ensure to restart your PC to apply the changes.
If there is no update available on the PC then make sure to visit the official manufacturer website of the graphics card and manually grab the latest version. Search for the particular graphics card model by the following links.
3. Update Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
It’s highly suggested to check for the game updates on your PC by following the steps below to ensure there is no outdated game version present. Sometimes issues with the outdated game patch version might cause several conflicts at your end that can affect the game launching or gameplay experience badly. To do that:
- Open the Battle.net (Blizzard) launcher.
- Click on the Blizzard logo from the top left corner.
- Go to Settings > Click on Game Install/Update.
- Click on Apply latest updates and download future patch data for recently played games to enable it.
- Now, click on Done to save changes > Restart the Battle.net launcher to apply changes.
- It should automatically update the game to the available version.
- Open Steam and go to Library.
- Click on COD: Modern Warfare 2 from the left pane.
- Steam will automatically search for the available update.
- If there is an update available, click on Update.
- Make sure to wait for some time until the update completes.
- Once done, ensure to reboot the PC to apply changes.
- Open the game Library.
- Search for MW2 > Select Options.
- Choose Check for Update on PlayStation. [Manage Game > Downloads on Xbox]
4. Verify and Repair Game Files
If in case, missing or corrupted game files on the PC may trouble players a lot. You can follow the steps below to verify and repair game files on the computer so that the game can run properly.
- Open the Battle.net client on your PC.
- Click on the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II game.
- Now, click on OPTIONS (Gear icon) > Click on Scan and Repair.
- Choose Begin Scan and wait for the process to complete.
- Once done, close the Battle.net launcher, and restart your PC.
- Launch the Steam client > Click on Library.
- Right-click on COD: Modern Warfare 2 from the list.
- Click on Properties > Go to Local Files.
- Next, click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- This process may take some time to get completed. So, have some patience.
- Once done, make sure to reboot the PC to apply changes.
5. Disable Steam Overlay
If in case, you’ve enabled the Steam Overlay app on your PC but you’re not using it that much then we’ll recommend you disable it right now. The Steam Overlay option may come in handy in streaming, recording, or taking screenshots. But not everyone finds it useful always. So, turning it off should reduce the extra load from your system to improve performance.
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library.
- Right-click on COD Modern Warfare 2 > Click on Properties.
- Click on Enable Steam Overlay while in-game under the GENERAL tab to uncheck it.
- Once disabled, re-launch the game.
6. Change the MWII game Language to English
You should try changing the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 game language to English to avoid dev error 6036 which can cause crashes or can’t join the multiplayer mode.
The issue is tied to localized versions of Vanguard and by changing the interface language to English, Multiplayer is accessible.
We know this is a less-than-ideal workaround for players who want or need to play in their native language and we are currently working on a fix.
— Sledgehammer Games (@SHGames) January 12, 2022
7. Disable Cache Spot and Cache Sun Shadows
If none of the methods worked for you then make sure to disable cache spot and cache sun shadows in the Modern Warfare II game to reduce crashes. To do so:
- Launch COD: MW2 > Go to “Settings”.
- Go to Graphics > Head over to Quality.
- Disable Cache Spot and Disable Cache Sun Shadows.
- Once done, apply changes, and run the game.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.