The Chinese smartphone manufacturer Oppo has silently launched the Oppo Reno Z in its Reno-series. The Reno Z comes with an AMOLED display with a waterdrop notch display. The MediaTek Helio processor, sharkfin-type pop-up selfie camera, Android Pie are the main features of this slightly cheaper smartphone. Want to install a custom recovery on your Oppo Reno Z? then you are in the right place.
In this guide, we will help you to install TWRP Recovery on the Oppo Reno Z device. This guide contains both the written instruction and video tutorial to help you install it quickly. Make sure to download the files required and jump straight into instruction on how to install TWRP on Oppo Reno Z.
Keep in mind that before heading over to the process, you will need to unlock the device bootloader at first. As the smartphone OEMs provide a locked bootloader to its devices due to some security concerns, in order to install any third-party file, you will need to unlock the bootloader. Then you will be capable to install TWRP Custom Recovery on your Oppo Reno Z device and root as well. The TWRP Recovery can also take Nandroid backups, restore, wipe out system/data/cache, and more.
Oppo Reno Z Device Overview:
The device comes with a 6.4-inch AMOLED waterdrop display with a screen resolution of 1080×2340 pixels. While the handset is powered by MediaTek Helio P90 SoC coupled with 6GB/8GB of RAM and 128GB/256GB of internal storage. The storage supports up to 256GB external memory expansion via a MicroSD card.
Coming to the camera department, the device sports a dual rear 48MP (f/1.7) Sony IMX586 sensor + 5MP (f/2.4) depth sensor camera with an LED flash. On the front side, there is a 32MP (f/2.0) selfie camera available with AI portrait, AI Beautify mode, HDR mode, etc.
The handset runs Android 9 Pie with ColorOS 6. While it has a 4,035 mAh battery with 20W Oppo VOOC 3.0 fast charging support. All other necessary connectivity options and sensors are available on this device.
TWRP Recovery and its Advantages
Team Win Recovery Project is an open-source software custom recovery image for Android-based devices. It provides a touchscreen-enabled interface that allows users to install third-party firmware and back up the current system which is functions often unsupported by stock recovery images. – WikiPedia
Advantages of TWRP Recovery:
- You can flash Custom ROM on Oppo Reno Z using TWRP
- You can flash modding zip files to customize your phone
- Easy to flash and use Xposed Modules using TWRP
- Easy to Root and Unroot using TWRP Recovery flashable zip SuperSU
- You can install Magisk on Oppo Reno Z
- Easy to Create and Restore Nandroid Backup using TWRP Recovery.
- Easy access to restore the Nandroid Backup.
- You can flash the image file using TWRP Recovery on Oppo Reno Z
- Easy to remove all bloatware using TWRP Recovery on Oppo Reno Z.
- To underclock and overclock.
- You can clean Wipe, Cache, and Data.
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery on Oppo Reno Z
Before going to the TWRP installation process, make sure to follow all the pre-requirements mentioned below properly.
- The file and guide are supported for the Oppo Reno Z model only. Don’t try it on other devices.
- Oppo Reno Z bootloader should be unlocked.
- A PC/Laptop and a USB cable are required for this process.
- Make sure to take a Full Backup of Device Data (No Root).
- Download Magisk or SuperSU file for rooting. You can follow one method from below.
- Charge your device battery to full.
- TWRP Recovery 3.3.1 for Oppo Reno Z
- No Verity opt Encrypt
- Download SuperSU Zip – For root using SuperSU
- Download Magisk Zip – For root using Magisk
- Oppo USB Drivers | MTK USB Drivers
- Download SP Flash Tool
- Download ADB and Fastboot and install it on your PC
- For scatter file, either extract the Stock ROM for Oppo Reno Z or create scatter txt file
Method 1: By Smartphone Flash Tools
Follow the instructions given down below to install TWRP on your phone (need scatter text file):Full Guide to install TWRP Recovery on your Phone Video Guide to Install TWRP Recovery using SP Flash tool
Method 2: ADB and Fastboot Tool
After downloading all the required files, drivers, and tools, follow the installation process.
- First of all, enable the Developer Options and USB Debugging mode on your device.
- Head over to the device Settings > System > About Phone > then tap on the Build Number seven times to enable Developer options mode.
- Now, go to the Developer options in the Settings menu and turn on the toggle to enable USB debugging.
- Next, open the ADB & Fastboot folder on your computer. Then press and hold the Shift key and right mouse click to open the command window.
- Turn off your device > Press and hold the Volume Up + Power button together for a few seconds to enter into Fastboot mode.
- Connect your device with the PC via a USB cable and type the following code on the command windows and hit enter:
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, your device is connected successfully as a fastboot device.
- Type the following command and hit enter to check the fastboot device connected or not:
- Now, in order to install TWRP Recovery on your phone, type the following command and press enter:
fastboot flash recovery twrpname.img
- To just boot, you can use the command fastboot boot twrpname.img
- That’s it. You’ve successfully installed the TWRP Recovery on Oppo Reno Z device. Now, you have to flash the Root.
What is Root?
Smartphone Rooting is the unofficial way to enable an administrator or superuser access to your device system and subsystem. Therefore, the user can easily tweak, change, edit, or delete system files and apps easily.
With the help of rooting, you can uninstall bloatware, increase device performance, reduce battery draining, install Xposed modules, and more. However, smartphone rooting will void the device warranty and you may not get software OTA updates anymore. Improper way of rooting can also brick your device easily. Therefore, make sure to follow the guide properly.
The advantage of Rooting:
- You can get access to all files on your Oppo Reno Z, even the files which present in the root directory of your phone.
- You can increase the performance of your Oppo Reno Z by overclocking.
- By rooting you can increase battery life by underclocking Oppo Reno Z.
- Uninstall Bloatware on Oppo Reno Z.
- You can block Ads on any Android applications such as Youtube and other game-related applications.
Also Read: Top 5 Adblock Plus Alternatives for Android
Steps to Root Oppo Reno ZGuide to Root Oppo Reno Z via SuperSU Guide to Root Oppo Reno Z via Magisk
We assume that this full-depth installation guide will be helpful to you. For any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.