Updated on March 31, 2020: Today we have an unofficial version of TWRP Recovery which supports Android 10, which means now you can flash the Android 10 custom ROM using TWRP on Xperia XZ2 Compact.
Good News for all Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact (H8314) users. Today we will guide you on how to install TWRP Recovery on Xperia XZ2 Compact (H8314). TWRP recovery is considered to be one of the important contributions from the active developer community that Android has. This open-source custom recovery is in wide usage around the world. TWRP recovery helps to install Custom ROM, Kernel, Mods, Root or even backup and restore any ROM.
If you are here, then you probably wondering how to install the TWRP Recovery on Xperia XZ2 Compact. You can simply follow the guide given here. Once you have installed, you can flash the Super SU or Magisk to root your device very quickly. Before we install TWRP Recovery, let’s understand what is TWRP Recovery and their advantage.
Xperia XZ2 Compact features a 5.0-inches display with a screen resolution of 1080 x 2160 pixels. The smartphone is powered by Qualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845 processor coupled with 4GB of RAM. The phone packs 64GB internal memory. The camera on the Xperia XZ2 Compact comes with 19MP rear camera with LED flash and 5MP front shooting camera for selfies. The handset backed by a Non-removable Li-Ion 2870 mAh battery with Fast battery charging (Quick Charge 3.0). It also has Fingerprint sensor on the back.
What is TWRP Recovery:
TWRP stands for TeamWin Recovery Project is a fully touch-based and open source custom recovery for Android devices. It is the best custom recovery after ClockworkMod (aka CWM). Unlike Stock Recovery, TWRP helps to install Custom ROM, Kernel, Mods or even root any Android devices in just a few simple steps.[su_quote cite=”Wikipedia” url=”https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWRP”]Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) is an open-source software custom recovery image for Android-based devices. It provides a touchscreen-enabled interface that allows users to install third-party firmware and back up the current system, functions often unsupported by stock recovery images. It is, therefore, often installed when rooting Android devices, although it isn’t dependent on a device being rooted to be installed.[/su_quote]
Advantages of TWRP Recovery:
- You can flash Custom ROM on Xperia XZ2 Compact using TWRP
- You can flash modding zip files to customize your phone
- Easy to flash and use Xposed Modules using TWRP
- Easy to Root and Unroot using TWRP Recovery flashable zip SuperSU
- You can install Magisk on Xperia XZ2 Compact
- Easy to Create and Restore Nandroid Backup using TWRP Recovery.
- Easy access to restore the Nandroid Backup.
- You can flash the image file using TWRP Recovery on Xperia XZ2 Compact.
- Easy to remove all bloatware using TWRP Recovery on Xperia XZ2 Compact.
- To underclock and overclock.
- You can clean Wipe, Cache, and Data.
Before doing the methods, I just want to warn you that, By doing this you will loose the warranty and sometime if you don’t read the steps and do something wrong can brick your device. That won’t happen though you follow our step by step guide carefully.
Check Popular Post
- Official and Unofficial Lineage OS 14.1 Device List and Download Link
- List Of Devices Getting Lineage OS 15.0 (Android 8.0 Oreo)
- Android Oreo is Here: List Of Official Supported Device
- List of MIUI 9 Supported Devices – Official and Unofficial
- List of All AOSP Android 8.0 Oreo Supported Device
- Resurrection Remix Oreo Release Date: List of Supported device
Known Bugs are
The “fastboot boot twrp.img” doesn’t work, if you use the hardware buttons to open the blue fastboot bootloader mode. Only use adb, twrp or the android system to reboot into blue fastboot bootloader mode or flash the twrp.img, boot the device, reboot into bootloader and flash the original boot.img back, before booting into twrp.
You can also “fastboot reboot bootloader” in the blue fastboot mode.
This is a bootloader bug, maybe it gets fixed with the stock Q bootloader.
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery on Xperia XZ2 Compact
Remember this guide is to install TWRP Recovery on Xperia XZ2 Compact, so don’t try the same recovery image on any other device. Before flashing recovery, please read and install the required drivers and software on your PC.
Download Required Files
- This Guide is to Install TWRP Recovery on Xperia XZ2 Compact
- You need to Unlock Bootloader on Xperia XZ2 Compact.
- You need either Laptop or PC.
- Download Chainfire Super SU.zip
- Charge your phone to at least 70%
- Download the latest Sony USB Drivers
- Download ADB and Fastboot tool for Windows || For Mac: Click Here || For Full ADB Setup, Download Android SDK Platform
- Make sure you have followed the steps properly. Don’t Skip and Read ! – We are not responsible for any damage that you make to your phone.
- Download 51.1.A.11.51 September 2018 Security for Xperia XZ2, XZ2 Compact and XZ2 Premium
- Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact: Android 9.0 Pie Update
Installation Guide using Adb Command Window:[su_note note_color=”#035786″ text_color=”#ffffff”]At GetDroidTips, We will not be held responsible for any kind of damage occurred to your device while following this Guide. Do it at your own risk. Remember rooting or installation of Custom Recovery will void the warranty of your phone.[/su_note]
Follow the instructions given down below to install TWRP on your phone:
How to Root Xperia XZ2 Compact:
To root your phone, you need either a supported TWRP Recovery or any rooting apps. With the help of rooting apps, you can root Xperia XZ2 Compact without PC/Computer. Here in this guide we already have a supported TWRP Recovery, so I will guide here to flash the superSU or Magisk to root your phone. Before rooting, let’s understand What is rooting in Android Phone?
What Does Rooting Mean?
Rooting doesn’t mean hacking. So please don’t compare the term hacking to rooting. In fact, it is not true at all. Well, Rooting for Android means nothing but jailbreaking the device to get access to the root directory of your android mobile. This means you are removing the restrictions and limitations from your Android Phone or Tablet to perform unperformable tasks.
By Rooting Xperia XZ2 Compact, you are injecting a file known as SU binary to the root of your phone. Technically Speaking, Rooting Any Android Phone will void the brand warranty but don’t worry, you can unroot or restore your device any time without any issues.
The advantage of Rooting:
- You can get access to all files on your Xperia XZ2 Compact, even the files which present in the root directory of your phone.
- You can increase the performance of your Xperia XZ2 Compact by overclocking.
- By rooting you can increase battery life by underclocking Xperia XZ2 Compact.
- Uninstall Bloatware on Xperia XZ2 Compact.
- You can block Ads on any Android applications such as Youtube and other game related applications. Also Read: Top 5 Adblock Plus Alternatives for Android
- By Rooting Xperia XZ2 Compact, you can View, Edit or Delete any system file inside the root directory.
- You can install Xposed Framework and many Xposed module support.
Guide to Root:
Here is the guide on how to root Xperia XZ2 Compact smartphone. Make sure to download either SuperSU or Magisk to root your phone.[su_note note_color=”#faf5ce” text_color=”#1d1d1d”]Note: Don’t try to flash both Magisk and SuperSU on your phone. You need to root either with SuperSU or Magisk[/su_note]
I hope this guide was helpful to root and install TWRP Recovery on Xperia XZ2 Compact. Any queries, you can leave a comment down below.
Credit goes to: MartinX3