Xiaomi Mi Play was launched in December 2018. The handset came with Android 9.0 Pie. Today, we will be guiding you on how to download and install Pixel Experience ROM on Xiaomi Mi Play which is based on the latest Stock Android 9.0 Pie GSI build. Thanks to the Developer HighError for building the Pixel Experience GSI ROM.
As the name suggests, ROM brings the real Google Pixel Experience ROM on Xiaomi Mi Play. It has all the features and applications which comes out of the box with Google Pixel smartphone. These features include Pixel sound packs, Live wallpaper, Pixel boot animation, Pixel launcher and so on. Let’s see how to download and flash Pixel Experience ROM on Xiaomi Mi Play with Android 9.0 Pie
Xiaomi Mi Play is powered by a Mediatek MT6765 Helio P35 (12nm) chipset coupled with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of internal storage. It also supports an 256GB external memory card. The device came out of the box with Android 8.1 Oreo under MIUI V10.0 and backed by a 3000 mAh battery (Non-removable). As far as the camera concerned, the device has a Dual-camera setup with 12MP + 2MP primary sensors and a selfie camera with an 8MP lens. Other connectivity option includes 4G-VoLTE, GPS, Glonass, Bluetooth, Mobile Hotspot, accelerometer, ambient light sensor, gyroscope, proximity sensor, and compass/ magnetometer. etc. The Xiaomi Mi Play come with a rear fingerprint sensor feature.
What’s New with Android 9.0 Pie?
Android Pie is a major update in the Android ecosystem. Its the 9th iteration and a major update of Google’s Android OS. The new Android Pie brings a couple of design changes to the successor Android Oreo but the most notable one is the gesture-based navigation system. Other features of Android 9 Pie are New Quick Settings UI design, Redesigned volume slider, Advanced Battery with AI Support, Notch Support, Improved Adaptive Brightness, Manual theme selection, Android Dashboard which Google calls Digital Wellbeing, and more other features.
Google Pixel Experience ROM on Xiaomi Mi Play
Google Pixel Experience ROM was designed in such a way so that users can get all the feature from flagship Pixel devices. You will get all the features, sounds and feel of having a Google Pixel device. This custom ROM has the following features:
- All Google Apps
- Pixel Launcher with round icon support
- Pixel Boot Animation
- Google Assistant
- Pixel Sounds
- Pixel Live Wallpapers
- Round Icon for Settings
- Pixel’s blue accent
- Xiaomi Mi Play Stock Firmware Collections [Back To Stock ROM]
- How to Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi Play and root using Magisk/SU
- List of Best Custom ROM for Xiaomi Mi Play [Updated]
- Xiaomi Mi Play Android 10 Q and MIUI 11 features
- Download and Install Lineage OS 16 on Xiaomi Mi Play (Android 9.0 Pie)
Steps to install Pixel Experience ROM on Xiaomi Mi Play
Now if you’re familiar with installing custom ROMs in Android, then it same as that. However, if you have never done this before then dot worry. We will be guiding you through each step and process.
To make the task easy, we have divided the unlocking process into two parts. In the first part, we will brief you about the files requires and Pre-Requisites for the bootloader unlocking process. Then we will start with the actual installation part.
To install Pixel Experience ROM on Xiaomi Mi Play, your device should have Bootloader Unlocked and should be running on latest TWRP Recovery. If your device doesn’t support TWRP, then you can follow the second method to sideload the Pixel Experience ROM via ADB Fastboot.
These are the files you will be needing to Install Pixel Experience ROM on Xiaomi Mi Play. Please, download them before proceeding with the procedure.
- Supported Smartphone: Xiaomi Mi Play
- Charge the Xiaomi Mi Play to a sufficient battery level to avoid any sudden shutdowns during the process.
- We strongly recommend you to take a complete backup of your personal data, including the internal storage. The phone will be formatted, so be prepared for it. You can also follow our Android backup guide for the same. [Follow any method]
- How to Backup Your Android Phone Without ROOT
- How to Backup Complete Stock or Custom ROM using TWRP recovery
- Backup Your Android Apps and Data with Titanium Backup
- How to Backup Your Android Phone Directly to PC with TWRP!!
- How to Backup Your Data on Android device
- If you already have TWRP: then you can Create and Restore Nandroid Backup via TWRP
- You need to Unlock the bootloader on Xiaomi Mi Play.
- You need a USB cable to connect your phone to PC.
GSI build is still a work in progress, so this ROM may not be stable. Please try for yourself and see how things go around with the new Pixel Experience GSI build..
ROM is still under experiments. GetDroidTips will not be responsible for any internal/external damages to the device that may happen while/after following this guide.
Method 1: Install via TWRP Recovery
No TWRP Support yet! Follow the second method.
- First of all, make sure to download and move all the above required ROM packages on your Xiaomi Mi Play Internal storage.
- Now reboot your phone into TWRP Recovery and Swipe Allow Modifications (Appears for the first time only)
- Once you are in TWRP Recovery, first of all. Take a complete backup of stock or custom ROM using TWRP.
- Now wipe the cache, data, and system before flashing the Pixel Experience ROM on Xiaomi Mi Play.
- To Wipe data: Go to Wipe —> Advanced Wipe and select Dalvik/ART cache, cache, and Data and then swipe to wipe. [su_note note_color=”#fef0ef” text_color=”#000000″]Warning: Make sure not to select Internal storage[/su_note]
- Now you can install the Pixel Experience System image file in TWRP: Install -> Install Image -> select system.img
- That’s it! Reboot and enjoy!
Method 2: Install via ADB Sideload
I hope this guide was helpful to install the Pixel Experience ROM on Xiaomi Mi Play based on Project Treble GSI images.
If this method doesn’t work, then go to the Pixel Experience ROM Phh-Treble thread in XDA and report your issue.
- Top 10 Features of Android 9.0 Pie Update
- Common Problems and solutions of Android 9.0 Pie
- Download Lineage OS 16: List of Supported Devices (Android 9.0 Pie)
- List of AOSP Android 9.0 Pie Custom ROM Supported devices
- Android 9.0 Pie: Supported Device List, Features and Downloads
- List of Pixel Experience ROM Supported Devices