Today we will guide you on how to install TWRP Recovery on Sony Xperia XZ2. TWRP recovery is considered to be one of the important contributions from the active developer community that Android has. This open-source custom recovery is in wide usage around the world. TWRP recovery helps to install Custom ROM, Kernel, Mods, Root or even backup and restore any ROM.
Sony Xperia XZ2 features a 5.7-inches display with a screen resolution of 1080 x 2160 pixels with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection. It is powered by Octa-core Qualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845 processor coupled with 4/6GB of RAM. The phone packs 64GB internal memory which can also be expanded upto 400GB via microSD card. The camera on the Sony Xperia XZ2 comes with 19MP rear Camera and 5MP front shooting camera. Sony Xperia XZ2 runs on Android 8.0 Oreo out of the box and backed by a 3180 mAh battery. It has a Fingerprint sensor on the back.
If you are here, then you probably wondering how to install the TWRP Recovery on Sony Xperia XZ2. You can simply follow the guide given here. Once you have installed, you can flash the Super SU or Magisk to root your device very quickly. Before we install TWRP Recovery, let’s understand what is TWRP Recovery and their advantage.
What is TWRP Recovery:
TWRP stands for TeamWin Recovery Project is a fully touch-based and open source custom recovery for Android devices. It is the best custom recovery after ClockworkMod (aka CWM). Unlike Stock Recovery, TWRP helps to install Custom ROM, Kernel, Mods or even root any Android devices in just a few simple steps.
[su_quote cite=”Wikipedia” url=”https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWRP”]Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) is an open-source software custom recovery image for Android-based devices. It provides a touchscreen-enabled interface that allows users to install third-party firmware and back up the current system, functions often unsupported by stock recovery images. It is, therefore, often installed when rooting Android devices, although it isn’t dependent on a device being rooted to be installed.[/su_quote]
Advantages of TWRP Recovery:
- You can flash Custom ROM on Sony Xperia XZ2 using TWRP
- You can flash modding zip files to customize your phone
- Easy to flash and use Xposed Modules using TWRP
- Easy to Root and Unroot using TWRP Recovery flashable zip SuperSU
- You can install Magisk on Sony Xperia XZ2
- Easy to Create and Restore Nandroid Backup using TWRP Recovery.
- Easy access to restore the Nandroid Backup.
- You can flash the image file using TWRP Recovery on Sony Xperia XZ2.
- Easy to remove all bloatware using TWRP Recovery on Sony Xperia XZ2.
- To underclock and overclock.
- You can clean Wipe, Cache, and Data.
Check Popular Post
Before doing the methods, I just want to warn you that, By doing this you will loose the warranty and sometime if you don’t read the steps and do something wrong can brick your device. That won’t happen though you follow our step by step guide carefully.
- Official and Unofficial Lineage OS 14.1 Device List and Download Link
- List Of Devices Getting Lineage OS 15.0 (Android 8.0 Oreo)
- Android Oreo is Here: List Of Official Supported Device
- List of MIUI 9 Supported Devices – Official and Unofficial
- List of All AOSP Android 8.0 Oreo Supported Device
- Resurrection Remix Oreo Release Date: List of Supported device
- Dirty Unicorns Oreo ROM: Supported Devices List, Downloads and Features
- List of Supported Devices to receive Mokee OS 8.1 Oreo Custom ROM
- List of Supported Devices for Lineage OS 15.1 (Android 8.1 Oreo)
- OmniROM Oreo: List of Supported devices, Features, and Release
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery on Sony Xperia XZ2
Remember this guide is to install TWRP Recovery on Sony Xperia XZ2, so don’t try the same recovery image on any other device. Before flashing recovery, please read and install the required drivers and software on your PC.
Download Required Files
- This Guide Supported for Sony Xperia XZ2
- You need to Unlock Bootloader on Sony Xperia XZ2.
- Install the latest Sony USB Drivers
- You need either a Laptop or PC.
- Charge your phone to at least 70%
- Back up your device just in case if you need it later
- Download Minimal ADB Tool – CLICK HERE or Download the Full ADB setup for Windows / Mac here and Extract it.
Installation Guide using ADB fastboot method:
At GetDroidTips, We will not be held responsible for any kind of damage occurred to your device while following this Guide. Do it at your own risk. Remember rooting or installation of Custom Recovery will void the warranty of your phone.
Follow the instructions given down below to install TWRP on your phone:
- First of all, You need to root Sony Xperia XZ2
- Download and install or extract the Android SDK or Minimal ADB Folder
- Now Go to C:\adb on the PC where Android SDK folder is found
- Now open the command window (CMD) on the same adb folder by holding the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- Select the ‘Open PowerShell window here’ or Command Window option.
- Turn off your phone completely
- Once you completely shut down, now connect the device to the PC while holding the Volume Down key.
- It will boot into fastboot, Now enter the following command to install TWRP Recovery on Sony Xperia XZ2:
fastboot flash boot twrp.img
Note: Now you need to flash the vbmeta.img file, or else your system won’t boot.
- Now type the following command [IMPORTANT OR THE SYSTEM WON’T BOOT!]
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
- Boot to recovery using the button combination (VOLUME DOWN + POWER BUTTON).
- Once you are booted in TWRP, you need to install flash stockkernel-installer.zip by tapping on Install -> Browse the flash stockkernel-installer.zip and swipe to flash <- IMPORTANT OR THE SYSTEM WON’T BOOT!
- Again you need to flash twrp-installer.zip
- Now reboot –> Recovery
- Once TWRP is loaded, Now tap on Install –> and flash the Magisk <- IMPORTANT OR THE SYSTEM WON’T BOOT!
- Once you are done, you can reboot your phone
- That’s it! You have installed TWRP Successfully!
How to Root Sony Xperia XZ2
To root your phone, you need either a supported TWRP Recovery or any rooting apps. With the help of rooting apps, you can root Sony Xperia XZ2 without PC/Computer. Here in this guide we already have a supported TWRP Recovery, so I will guide here to flash the superSU or Magisk to root your phone. Before rooting, let’s understand What is rooting in Android Phone?
What Does Rooting Mean?
Rooting doesn’t mean hacking. So please don’t compare the term hacking to rooting. In fact, it is not true at all. Well, Rooting for Android means nothing but jailbreaking the device to get access to the root directory of your android mobile. This means you are removing the restrictions and limitations from your Android Phone or Tablet to perform unperformable tasks.
By Rooting Sony Xperia XZ2, you are injecting a file known as SU binary to the root of your phone. Technically Speaking, Rooting Any Android Phone will void the brand warranty but don’t worry, you can unroot or restore your device any time without any issues.
The advantage of Rooting:
- You can get access to all files on your Sony Xperia XZ2, even the files which present in the root directory of your phone.
- You can increase the performance of your Sony Xperia XZ2 by overclocking.
- By rooting you can increase battery life by underclocking Sony Xperia XZ2.
- Uninstall Bloatware on Sony Xperia XZ2.
- You can block Ads on any Android applications such as Youtube and other game-related applications. Also Read: Top 5 Adblock Plus Alternatives for Android
- By Rooting Sony Xperia XZ2, you can View, Edit or Delete any system file inside the root directory.
- You can install the Xposed Framework and many Xposed module support.
Guide to Root:
Here is the guide on how to root Sony Xperia XZ2 smartphone. Make sure to download either SuperSU or Magisk to root your phone.
[su_note note_color=”#faf5ce” text_color=”#1d1d1d”]Warning: Don’t try to flash both Magisk and SuperSU on your phone. You need to root either with SuperSU or Magisk[/su_note]
I hope this guide was helpful to root and install TWRP Recovery on Sony Xperia XZ2. Any queries, you can leave a comment down below.